Teaching Professor ABSN Program 998274
Position open for our Cleveland, Ohio or Columbus, Ohio location.
Teaching Professors associated with the ABSN track of the BSN degree program are individuals who serve the University on a full time basis for 12 months and whose primary responsibility is teaching in the clinical/lab and/or didactic courses. Time off is provided throughout the academic year as approved by the Associate Director during this 12 month contract. Instructors are not evaluated with respect to scholarship, yet are expected to engage in on-going professional development appropriate to nursing. Teaching Professors are not eligible for tenure. Nursing teaching professors serve as course coordinators, faculty advisors, maintain frequent contact with adjunct faculty in clinical courses, responsible for course syllabus, teaching and providing guidance for the students’ clinical/lab experiences and/or didactic courses, and evaluation of their performance.
Xavier University has a strong commitment to diversity and, building upon recent success, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women and minorities. To be considered for the teaching professor position, candidates will have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Nursing. A current, active, unencumbered RN license in the state of Ohio are required. RN with a minimum of four years of experience in the practice of nursing. Additionally two years of teaching in a university setting is preferred for candidates with a strong practice and/or teaching experience in nursing fundamentals and skills lab. Knowledge of foundational nursing skills, curriculum development, methods of teaching and evaluation processes and simulation are preferred. Possesses excellent communication, strong organizational and leadership skills. Knowledgeable of current research and scholarship, that is supportive to the professional development of nursing. Maintains a commitment to community service. Familiar with cultural competence and current advances in technology to enhance the educational experience of students.
REPORTS TO: Director of the School of Nursing
- Supports and implements the mission of Xavier University and the School of Nursing.
- Collaborates in the revision, development, and evaluation of the nursing program.
- Collaborates with other course coordinators and faculty members for ongoing curriculum development.
- Develops, utilizes, and evaluates techniques of instruction and evaluative tools for students to assist nursing students to meet course objectives.
- Provides students with full syllabus and course outline at the beginning of each semester.
- Applies evaluative findings for the improvement of instruction, professional growth, and program development.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the student as a learner and as an individual.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with professional staff to facilitate student learning and collaborates with the clinical site coordinator.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge in assigned content area.
- Utilizes current and applicable research in teaching.
- Updates skills and knowledge by attending appropriate continuing education related to area of expertise and clinical interest.
- Serves as an advocate for students’ concerns.
- Serves as academic advisor to assigned students.
- Supervises activities of teaching assistants when utilized and obtain their input for student evaluation.
- Participates in Xavier University and Nursing School professional activities.
- Contributes to the functioning of committees within Xavier University, the School of Nursing, and the professional community.
- Collaborates in creating and promoting goals of Xavier University and the Nursing School.
We are strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission. Candidates who have worked with a diverse range of faculty, staff, and students and who can contribute to our mission of inclusivity are encouraged to identify their experiences and interests. Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity employer.
To ensure consideration, qualified/interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website by November 23, 2020.