Behavioral Plasticity Research Institute
The Behavioral Plasticity Research Institute (BPRI) is a newly funded NSF Biological Integration Institute focused on understanding how behavioral plasticity in grasshoppers (i.e., locust phase polyphenism) leads to locust plagues and its ecological implications. The BPRI is looking for a Research Associate who will be involved in carrying out and coordinating research across the various member institutions of the BPRI (Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M University, Washington University in St. Louis, Arizona State University, and the University of California, Davis).
The BPRI is committed to training the next generation of interdisciplinary biologists to tackle complex, multidisciplinary problems. One of the goals of the BPRI is to broaden diversity by fostering the careers of individuals with unconventional backgrounds. Interested candidates should send a Curriculum Vitae and a brief statement of research interests to Fabrizio Gabbiani, firstname.lastname@example.org . Additionally, please provide the contact information of three persons familiar with your career and that can act as references on your behalf.
The vision of the BPRI is predicated on integration through collaboration. We recognize the scientific and societal impacts are maximized when groups of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences come together to work towards shared goals and the common good. This philosophy will inform all BPRI activities.
- Prepare weekly reports of research progress for the PI, discuss research results in group meetings, help prepare figures and write text for papers and grants.
- Conduct literature reviews.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary.
- Summarize interviews.
- Provide ready access to all experimental data for the faculty researcher and/or supervisor.
- Request or acquire equipment or supplies necessary for the project.
- Manage and respond to project related email.
- Prepare, maintain, and update website materials.
- Attend project meetings.
- Attend area seminars and other meetings as necessary.
- Summarize project results.
- Prepare progress reports for the PI and funding agency.
- Prepare other articles, reports, and presentations.
- Monitor the project budget.
- Researches new products, tests, and methodological instruments and reports to the principal investigator relative to feasibility, quality, and benefits of such new developments.
- Adapts procedures or methods relative to changes in research projects.
- Designs and implements research protocols; designs safety procedures.
- Collates and analyzes complex data. Maintains microcomputer database.
- Summarizes completed protocols and studies; writes scientific articles and manuscripts for publication and presentation.
- Supervises the safe handling or radioactive and hazardous material; coordinates purchasing requests and writes specifications and justifications for equipment purchases.
- Supervises junior research associates, graduate students, and student workers in the laboratory.
- Prepares analytical reports relative to research data.
- Monitors progress of research projects and coordinates information between departmental sections.
- Performs a wide and complex variety of assays, test, and studies.
- Performs highly specialized and advanced experiments.
- Collects, prepares, analyzes, and evaluates specimens and/or tissue cultures.
- Education Required: Master's degree in Basic Science or a related field. Experience in lieu of degree will not be accepted.
- Experience Required: Three years of relevant experience typically as a Research Assistant, Research Technician or Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration: None Required.
- A Ph.D. in the biological sciences, preferably in an area related to Neuroscience or Genetics.
- An interest in the organization and management of research projects.
- Familiarity with a broad range of experimental techniques, which span the range from behavior to genomics in the activities of the BPRI.
- Good communication skills.
- Skills in web design are plus.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston