EXECUTIVE CHEF MANAGER FOR TERRACE DINING
Full-time position to oversee and supervise all aspects of the Terrace Dining Hall operation including culinary, staff supervision and budget areas. Oversee all aspects of food production, including menu planning, food preparation and culinary budget for the Towers Marketplace retail venues. Serve as the culinary technical expert and trainer for all chefs, cooks and other staff. Responsible for setting and meeting all budget targets including plate cost and total food costs. Oversee and supervise management of unit inventories. Meet with students, parents and other stakeholders to address and create plans for addressing food allergy and all other culinary concerns. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below and will continue to evolve around the needs of the IC campus community.
SUPERVISION: This position reports to the Associate Director of Dining Services
The Executive Chef Manager supervises all staff in the Terrace Dining Hall and the culinary staff in the Towers Marketplace.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provide leadership for staffing, training, hours of operation and budget for the Terrace Dining Hall.
2. Plan menus including methods, timetables and costs to support IC strategic plan for the Terrace Dining Hall and the Towers Marketplace.
3. Supervise all full time, part time, student and contract staff in the Terrace Dining Hall.
4. Supervise the culinary staff in the Towers Marketplace.
5. Direct daily operations of food production, including menu planning, purchasing, ordering, inventory and food preparation to ensure employees have appropriate equipment, inventory and resources to perform their jobs and meet goals and deadlines.
6. Work with the Ithaca College food management system software utilizing it for the following tasks
a. Menu planning, Costing and Forecasting to post menus online, create cost effective menus and inform kitchen production and purchases.
b. Recipe Writing and Testing to create nutritionally accurate recipes.
c. Ordering to purchase products from pre-approved suppliers.
d. Inventory Tally and Maintenance to accurately record monthly value of products on hand for financial reporting.
7. Train other staff, including managers, assistant managers, supervisors and all culinary staff in all aspects of the Fusion software system.
8. Supervise culinary and service personnel engaged in preparing, cooking and serving food.
9. Meet with and respond to students and family members regarding all aspects of the culinary operation, including complaints, special requests, etc. Develop and implement plans to address concerns.
10. Oversees the preparation, portioning, garnishing, presentation and safe storage of food and solves menu problems (e.g. recipe substitutions).
11. Ensures that kitchen, equipment, storage facilities and dining room are sanitary, neat and organized. Trains other chefs in and outside of account on culinary skills and serves as technical expert.
12. Ensures licenses and certification are current for the unit(s) and all employees.
13. Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local regulations, and IC policies and procedures (e.g. HACCP, quality assurance, safety, operations, personnel).
14. Establishes a safe work environment for employees by providing safety-related training and equipment maintenance and by ensuring compliance with safety and loss prevention programs and with standards.
15. Manages the budget by controlling costs (e.g. labor, inventory, equipment, and materials), complying with budget requirements and making adjustments when necessary.
16. Establishes operating standards, implements quality improvements and communicates them to employees.
17. Develop, demonstrate, and promote multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion as a college priority, communicate to employees an expectation of behavior that is civil and inclusive when interacting with all staff, faculty, students and visitors and promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment.
1. Experience supervising food service staff (professional, contract and student) is required.
2. Experience with a food management software system is required. Experience with the CBORD Fusion software is strongly preferred.
3. Experience providing leadership for and setting culinary direction for large-scale and/or multiple dining operations is required.
4. Responsibility for meeting food cost targets is required.
5. Experience training other staff regarding food management software is required.
6. Experience training professional staff on allergy free dining and food safety procedures is required.
7. Experience providing culinary training and coaching is required.
8. Previous experience meeting with clients to address special dietary concerns and/or other concerns is preferred.
9. This position requires verbal and written communication skills to convey complex and/or detailed information to multiple individuals/audiences with differing knowledge levels. Role may require strong negotiation and influence, communication to large groups or high-level constituents, representation of the organization, advanced tact, and diplomacy, etc.
10. The ability and willingness to respect and value the differences and perceptions of different groups/individuals, including respecting, understanding, valuing and seeking out individual differences to achieve the vision and mission of the organization is required.
11. The ability to provide excellent service to customers, including seeking to meet customer needs and demands quickly and effectively; remaining calm and professional when reviewing complaints from customers and takes action to remedy the complaint; and treating the customer as if he/she were valuable is required.
12. The ability to work productively and effectively when faced with stressful work situations and time pressures. Maintaining stamina and effective interactions with others under stressful working conditions and maintaining a calm, controlled, professional manner when facing high pressure and demanding situations.
13. The ability to cultivate an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment; ability to treat all people equitably and with a sensitivity and awareness to cultural difference; demonstrated ability to hold others accountable for behavior that is supportive of a community that is diverse and inclusive is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work of the Executive Chef Manager for Terrace Dining is carried out within an accessible, safe, indoor and occasional outdoor environment. Occasional carry or lifting 50 lbs. Specific physical characteristics and abilities are required to perform the work, such as above-average agility and dexterity, and long period of walking, standing, bending or carrying moderately heavy items. Executive Chef will be issued and/or required to wear slip resistant shoes, cut gloves, and operate kitchen equipment.
Ithaca College understands our obligation to operate in accordance with NYS Department of Health Guidance applicable to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. This includes adherence to required physical distancing guidelines, use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including but not limited to wearing of face masks, and practicing good hand hygiene. Employees will be required to perform regular cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched and high risk areas and may be required to wear a respirator mask if physically able and medically cleared to do so. Daily health screening and weekly testing is also required.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Interested applicants must apply online at ithaca.edu/jobs and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately and be ongoing as needed.