Instructor/Assistant/Associate Professor, Nursing
The School of Nursing at Florida Gulf Coast University invites applications for full-time, twelve-month continuing appointment faculty positions beginning from January 2021. Search will be open until filled. Level of Appointment will be based on qualifications and experience. Candidates seeking Associate Professor rank are required to have teaching experience at the University level and a scholarship record commensurate for appointment at that rank.
Individuals with clinical practice experience in medical/surgical, community and public health, and mental health nursing are especially encouraged to apply. Candidate’s primary appointment will be teaching theory, laboratory and clinical courses in the BSN Program with the possibility of some teaching responsibility in Graduate Nursing Programs based on qualifications and experience in nursing.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites and clinical agencies within our region.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Teach a full load of theory, laboratory and clinical courses each academic year (Fall, Spring and Summer semesters) primarily in the BSN Program
- Provide professional academic advisement/mentoring to students
- Contribute to course and/or curriculum development
- Engage in research/scholarship as described in FPED and College documents
- Actively participate in program accreditation and continuous improvement activities
- Function as an effective, active and collegial team member
- Actively participate in service to the school, college, university, and community
Additional Job Description
- Graduate degree in Nursing with an area of specialization in Nursing from a nationally accredited nursing program and regionally accredited Institution or equivalent accreditation
- BSN degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited nursing program and regionally accredited Institution or equivalent accreditation
- Minimum of three years of nursing practice experience.
- Current unrestricted RN; or APRN licensure or eligibility for RN or APRN licensure in the state of Florida.
- Current BLS certification for healthcare providers.
- Earned doctorate in Nursing or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation. Ph.D. in Nursing preferred.
- Five or more years of nursing practice experience.
- Nurse Educator Certification
- Experience teaching in the clinical setting
- Expertise in medical/surgical, community and public health, or mental health nursing
- Certification or experience in high fidelity simulation
- Experience with the development and delivery of on-line coursework.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated expertise in nursing knowledge and clinical practice.
- Strong communication skills
- Strong computer skills using web-based applications and Microsoft Office.
- Understanding of and commitment to ANA Code of Ethics for Nursing, BSN Essentials and other regulatory documents.
- Actively collaborates both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning.
- Must value continued scholarship as well as service to the community and university.
- Competence in use of technology in teaching and distance learning.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a (12 month) multi-year appointment basis available January 2021 until filled.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/ scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter
- Five (5) Professional References
This position is listed as “open until filled”; however, applications received by Friday December 4, 2020 will receive priority consideration.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.