research associate (postdoc)
The Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt (KU) is a non-state university under church leadership and officially recognized by the Free State of Bavaria. It is committed to strong research and excellent teaching and combines first-class study conditions with an international focus. Eight faculties offer a wide range of subjects for around 5,000 students. The University employs 900 people of different faiths and beliefs. Grounded in the Christian view of human life, the KU aims to create an academic and educational culture of responsibility.
The newly approved DFG-funded research training group “Practicing Place: Sociocultural Practices and Epistemic Configurations“ invites applications for a full-time position (100 %) as
research associate (postdoc)
(Wissenschaftliche/-r Mitarbeiter/-in (m/w/d))
to be filled by April 1st, 2021, initially for a period of 3 years. The place of work shall be Eichstätt. Provided that the requirements are met, remuneration in the private-law employment relationship will be according to the pay grade E 13 TV-L.
The proposed research training group aims at a critical reflection of the concepts of ‘place’ and ‘placing’ from a decidedly interdisciplinary perspective. Place and processes of (re-)placing have become central to a discussion of complex global interrelations, precisely at a time of growing transnational interdependencies and seemingly borderless communication networks. According to our guiding research idea, we suggest to think of place dynamically, as practicing place. Hence, we will consider specific practices of placing and their concomitant epistemic configurations (such as comprehending, mapping, locating, imagining, writing, experiencing, and redefining places) as well as the situatedness and specific locality of any practice.
The research training group is designed as a structured graduate training program for German and international graduates who have distinguished themselves in a competitive selection process through their professional profile and an outstanding research concept that is compatible across disciplines and can be realized within the time frame of the funding period. This postdoctoral position serves to coordinate all scholarly activities in the research training group.
- Implementation of your own research project within the scholarly framework of the research training group
- Support of the supervising researchers in their interdisciplinary program coordination as well as in the organizational design of the research training group
- Co-supervision of individual doctoral projects (optional)
- Impulses for the further development of the research program of the research training group, e.g. through contributions to critical theory formation, conceptual ideas as well as initiatives for conferences, workshops and joint publication projects etc.
- Advising and conceptual support for the fellows in the independent organization of interdisciplinary scientific working groups, field research or workshops etc.
- Conceptualization and content coordination of joint scientific publication projects
- Introduction and monitoring of measures to ensure good scientific practice with special consideration of the handling of achieved research data and results
- Editorial coordination of press and public relations work in the research training group (contributions to the website etc.)
- A very good, successfully completed academic university degree and an excellent, completed doctorate preferably in one of the academic fields of the research training group or in relevant neighboring disciplines in the social sciences, cultural studies or the humanities (please see below website for details),
- Relevant publishing experience (international if possible),
- Proven theoretical and methodological knowledge in (interdisciplinary) space and place studies is desirable,
- Openness for interdisciplinary work as well as high communicative competence and ability to work in a team,
- Ability to coordinate and guide scientific working groups,
- Very good computer skills and written and spoken English language proficiency.
Further information on the research training group, its research activity and educational concept is available at this website: www.ku.de/forschung/forschungsprojekte/dfg-gefoerderte-projekte
- An attractive, interdisciplinary research environment in the higher educational sector for the successful scientific qualification or further development of your scientific career,
- Access to an excellent research infrastructure and a wide range of support facilities,
- Integration into the KU’s programs for the promotion of early-career researchers and management training,
- Possibility of co-supervision of doctoral students,
- Integration into an established, international scientific network, including the possibility of stays abroad to establish and expand specialist and transdisciplinary networks,
- Welfare and social benefits provided in the public service.
Please include the following documents in your application:
- Application form (available for download on the above website),
- Letter of motivation in which the applicant should explain why he or she is personally suitable for the research program and the task of coordinating the research training group and how he or she would like to become involved in the research training group (no longer than 2 pages),
- Résumé with detailed description of your scientific career to date including a list of publications,
- Proof of scientific university degrees (if necessary in certified translation),
- Doctoral certificate (if necessary in certified translation),
- A letter of recommendation from two university lecturers providing information on the applicant's professional and methodological competence and scientific potential (no longer than 2 pages),
- Outline of the planned research project (exposé no longer than 10 pages), which relates and contextualizes the own project to the research program of the research training group, and
- Doctoral thesis.
Please send your application to the speaker of the research training group, Prof. Dr. Kerstin Schmidt, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference: “Wiss. Mitarbeiter Postdoc (m/w/d) im DFG-GRK Practicing Place”) by December 10th, 2020.
Please combine all documents in one PDF file, which you attach to your e-mail. Please understand that confirmations of receipt and interim correspondence cannot be sent. The selection interviews are scheduled for the second calendar week of 2021. All submitted application documents will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations after the hiring process has been completed.
All employees are obliged to acknowledge the nature and mission of the KU as stipulated in its Mission Statement and Foundation Charter.
The KU is committed to promoting equal opportunities for men and women, and aims to ensure that its members are able to balance work and family life. Candidates with severe disabilities who are equally suitable to other applicants will be prioritized.
Apply for research associate (postdoc)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly