Associate Professor of Biological Science (Global 30 International Program)
Global 30 International Programs
The Biological Science Program in the Nagoya University Global 30 International Programs invites applications for a full-time Associate Professor position, with the possibility of a permanent position.
We encourage applicants who have shown excellence in teaching Biological Science to students at the undergraduate level to apply. The G30 Program of Nagoya University is well known for its small class sizes, highly motivated students, and international atmosphere. Standard teaching load is up to eight courses per year (e.g., four courses each, in spring or autumn semester). A course is equivalent to one 90-minute lecture per week for 15 weeks. The finally selected associate professor will also serve as an academic advisor for undergraduate students, contribute to the admissions process for both graduate and undergraduate students, and engage in research activities preferably in cooperation with the group of Microbial Motility (Principal Investigator: G30 program professor, Seiji Kojima) in the Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science.
The faculty member will teach courses including:
- Part of course in Institute of Liberal Arts and Science (e.g., "Fundamentals of Biology 2")
- Genetics I, Cell Biology I, Cell Biology II, Physiology and Anatomy I
- Principles of Life Science
- Doctoral degree in the field of life science, with teaching experience
- Demonstrated ability to advise students at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Willingness to take part in the International Programs of the university, including but not limited to teaching courses to Japanese students and administrative duties
- English fluency sufficient to teach abovementioned courses
- Record of research experience in Biology or a related field in Life Science.
- Conducting research activities preferably in cooperation with Professor Seiji Kojima, although the applicant's research field is not limited to microbiology
- Willingness to cooperate with Professor Seiji Kojima to plan and conduct education for G30 Biological Science undergraduate/graduate program and administrative duties
- Ability to acquire research grants (e.g., KAKENHI) is welcome though not required
- Strong interpersonal skills and evidence of success in a multicultural environment with students, faculty, administration, and the local community
- Japanese language proficiency is welcome though not required
The initial contract will start in May 2021 at the earliest and it will end four years from the start day of the contract. Contingent upon job performance, the contract may be renewable as a permanent position.
Salary: 6 million to 9 million Japanese yen/year (all inclusive) depending on experience and conforming to the rules of Tokai National Higher Education and Research System
Documents to be submitted in English:
- Cover letter
- Full curriculum vitae — please include country of citizenship, university graduation date
- List of research achievements (including published papers, invited lectures, received awards and research grants)
- Summary of research experience (about 2 pages)
- Copies of main article reprints (maximum of 5 papers)
- Proposal of future research plans (1 page)
- Statement of teaching philosophy, addressing the applicant’s ability to integrate creative thinking and global perspectives into the courses taught (1 page)
- Evidence of teaching excellence, such as any of the following
items (if applicable):
- Copies of past course syllabi prepared and used by the applicant
- Student evaluation forms
- Public commendations, prizes, and other awards for teaching excellence
- A list of three personal references with their contact details
All applicants should submit their applications via email.
All required documents should be combined into one PDF file and sent to “firstname.lastname@example.org”. The size of each PDF file must be smaller than 20MB (if exceeded, then send files separately). Write “G30 Biology (Your name)” in the subject line of the email. After submission, please confirm receipt of the reply mail. Please note that we will not consider incomplete applications. Application documents will not be returned.
After screening submitted documents, only short-listed candidates will be notified for further instructions such as interviews.
If you have questions, please email the address below.
Dr. Seiji Kojima
Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University
E-mail: email@example.com (in English or Japanese language)
Application deadline: 31 December 2020
Educational Policy of Nagoya University’s Global 30 International Programs:
Nagoya University’s fundamental objective is to cultivate leaders with courage and intellect. We call such individuals ‘yuuki-aru chishiki-jin,’. These people can harness their courage, curiosity, and creativity in education and research and can become both ethical leaders and productive members of global society. We encourage highly motivated educators who share this vision to apply.
Others: The laboratory and equipment are shared with Professor Kojima's group (the group of Microbial Motility).
Nagoya University is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from female researchers are encouraged.
The submitted information will be kept confidential and used only for the selection process.
For more information:
Apply for Associate Professor of Biological Science (Global 30 International Program)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly