CHIEF COMPLIANCE OFFICER
CHIEF COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Posting Number: SRGV4724
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Scope of Job:
Responsible for directing and managing a continuous and productive compliance operation in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
Description of Duties:
• Oversees the University’s risk assessment process and manages the preparation of a comprehensive risk-based compliance plan, consisting of short- and long-term items as well as planning for potentially high-risk items.
• Acts in the role as Senior Compliance Executive in reporting results of the compliance/ethics efforts of the University and in providing oversight and guidance to senior management on matters relating to compliance.
• Primary responsibility for the development and the implementation of a robust framework and strategic planning process that enhances institutional compliance as a core value of the institution.
• Oversees and updates all FERPA compliance policies and procedures and coordinates closely with the University Registrar in regard to FERPA guidance.
• The Chief Compliance Officer has direct oversight for high risk areas. Because of this responsibility, it is expected and required of the Chief Compliance Officer to have access to the university president or designee. This access is to ensure that the university president is aware of high-risk areas and is made aware of crises in a timely manner and is kept up to date on responses to same.
• Monitors adherence with billing compliance rules and regulations, including compliance with the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services billing rules, internal operations, and regulatory requirements.
• Oversees and continuously evaluates an effective compliance communication program for the organization, including promoting (a) use of the compliance hotline, (b) heightened awareness of code of conduct, and © understanding of new and existing compliance issues and related policies and procedures.
• Participates in the review and revision of institutional policies and procedures to ensure they are adequate to mitigate risk and to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
• Develops and periodically reviews and updates the Code of Conduct to ensure continuing currency and relevance in providing guidance to management and employees.
• Collaborates with University departments to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution or to direct complainant(s) to the appropriate office(s) for resolution. Consults with the Chief Legal Officer as needed to resolve difficult legal compliance issues.
• Responds to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and codes of conduct by evaluating and initiating investigative procedures. Develops, oversees, evaluates a system for uniform handling of such violations.
• Coordinates closely with the Privacy Officer in regard to HIPAA policies to assure compliance with standards of privacy, security and data standardization of personal health information required by federal HIPAA and state privacy legislation.
• Coordinates the evaluation of disclosures of outside board activities of employee and other potential conflicts of interest.
• Acts as an independent review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance issues/concerns are being appropriately evaluated, investigated, and resolved.
• Ensures the development and maintenance of general compliance communication and training for employees and monitoring of completion percentages.
• Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develops/implements corrective action plans for the resolution of problematic issues and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
• Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
• Prepares quarterly reports detailing compliance initiatives throughout the year as well as recommending improvements/changes in the overall compliance program for executive management.
• Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the department.
• Plans, assigns, and directs workloads of assigned staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
Specific supervision of assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related field.
Master’s degree from an accredited university in a related field.
Eight (8) years progressively responsible experience in a regulatory, legal, and/or compliance-related capacity in healthcare, business, and/or university environment.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Ability to ensure adherence to all policies and procedures of university. Effectively interpret and apply organizational policies, procedures, and systems. Work requires proven supervisory, customer service, and written and verbal communication skills. Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and supervise work of employees as necessary to ensure desired results are achieved. May require telephone and personal contact with all levels of internal and external personnel and organizations. Ability to monitor and maintain budget.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 10/28/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/26203