Assistant Provost for Graduate and Online Education
Valparaiso University seeks an ambitious Assistant Provost to lead the university’s continued expansion of its online graduate programs. This senior position requires an innovative leader experienced with the many forms of technology-enhanced education and the infrastructure and business models that online programs require. Working in collaboration with faculty and university leadership, the successful candidate has an opportunity to define the role of online learning for the future of the university. In doing so, the successful candidate will meet market demands, improve academic quality, and grow enrollment of Valpo’s graduate programs. Reporting to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Assistant Provost will work closely with top academic leadership and stakeholders in the strategic planning, budgeting, branding, and marketing of all graduate programs including new and existing online graduate degree and certificate programs and courses. The Assistant Provost will also be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with any Online Program Managers (OPMs) with which the University partners. The Assistant Provost will oversee the work of the Director of Graduate Enrollment Operations, the Director of Graduate Services, the Director of Summer and Continuing Education, and the Director of Instructional Design. The Assistant Provost will lead this team to leverage new and existing resources to deliver revenue growth and solutions in the sphere of online and graduate education at Valpo.
About Valparaiso University
Valparaiso University (Valpo), founded in 1859, is a community of learning grounded in the Lutheran tradition of scholarship, freedom, and faith, and it prepares students to lead and serve in both church and society. As an independent Lutheran institution, Valpo is a comprehensive university with an enrollment of over 3,200 undergraduate and graduate students, and is consistently recognized as one of the best private universities in the Midwest. Valpo offers a thorough grounding in the liberal arts as well as professional education and graduate study, helping students to find their own paths to lifelong professional, personal, and spiritual growth. Valpo is located an hour’s drive southeast of Chicago on a 310-acre campus in the city of Valparaiso, Indiana, a county seat of 30,000 residents with high quality schools and an active social community.
Graduate Education at Valparaiso University
Valparaiso University currently offers over 25 graduate degree and certificate programs for high-paying, in-demand fields in business, cyber security, data science, counseling, economics, information technology, nursing, occupational therapy, public health, health administration and more. The offerings include a mix of professional master's degrees and two practice doctorates offered by the College of Nursing and Health Programs.
Online Learning at Valparaiso University
Valparaiso University currently offers several online degrees including an MBA and Master’s degrees in Cyber Security, Public Health, and Nursing Education. The university also offers an online Doctor of Nursing Practice program. Other programs are delivered in a hybrid format and the university has a growing number of individual online courses. The university desires to bring focused leadership to promote these unique academic programs, grow their enrollment, expand their geographic reach, and increase tuition revenue.
While the Assistant Provost will manage new and existing Online Program Management (OPM) partnerships to elevate existing programs and capitalize on immediate opportunities, they will have the mandate to build both short- and long-term strategy and organizational capacity for graduate education and online initiatives within the university. The work of the Assistant Provost will ensure graduate and online education contribute to the future of the university. The successful candidate, working in collaboration with deans, faculty, and administrative leadership, has the opportunity to:
- Provide vision and create a strategic plan for graduate and online education through active consultation with deans, faculty, and other stakeholders.
- Build knowledge of successful models of fully and partially online learning degrees and courses.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of online educational services and the processes necessary to support new and existing academic programs including information systems, instructional technologies, the library, admissions, and student support services.
- Define support models for faculty and enhance instructional design and course development expertise for online programs.
- Leverage knowledge of marketing, research, and trends to identify opportunities and plan feasible marketing and branding strategies for online graduate programs.
- Educate university units on opportunities for new programs and how to implement them.
- Maintain and establish external relationships with a wide variety of online learning support resources (OPM(s), vendors, consultants, etc.).
- Oversee budgeting, recruitment, marketing, and admissions activities in support of ambitious enrollment goals for both online and on-campus graduate programs.
- Expand Valpo’s marketing reach and the overall impact of the university’s online initiatives, nationally and internationally.
- Position Valpo as an institution with a high quality, scalable, and financially sustainable online portfolio that leverages the unique strengths of the university.
Qualifications and Experiences
An ideal candidate will have an advanced degree and significant teaching experience with in-person and online modalities. Competitive candidates will have 5+ years of progressive responsibility related to all parts of the creation of hybrid and fully online courses or programs in higher education. The candidate should also demonstrate proficiency in media development, marketing, growing enrollment, student services and budgeting/finance. Prior experience in institutions similar to Valparaiso University (in size, complexity, tuition-dependence, and mission) is a plus.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate experience by having:
- Developed and implemented strategic plans and business models for educational ventures for a school, department, and/or program.
- Led or played a substantial role in the alignment of online education strategies with institutional mission, vision, and identity.
- Developed or overseen successful graduate programs whether online, on-campus or both.
- Played a substantial role in the development of online programs including identifying market opportunities, working with different constituents on course development, and planning/marketing/enrollment strategies.
- Managed two or more areas in a university or business setting related to instructional design, online program management, media development, learning technology, marketing, enrollment services, and business/finance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of successful models of online and hybrid learning.
- Built consensus across diverse stakeholder groups for a strategic direction or complex decision.
- Supervised substantial teams or organizations with a history of delivering quality services.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to work successfully with vendors and navigate regulatory environments.
- Developed engaging experiences for students from recruitment to program completion.
- Participated extensively in developing online courses or teaching online.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accreditation process(es) in higher education.
The Assistant Provost for Graduate and Online Education will be the point person for online and on-campus graduate education at Valpo. As such, the successful candidate needs to both inspire and instill confidence in their team and collaborators across campus. To build up graduate education, both online and off, at Valpo will require ambition and perseverance.
The successful candidate should have many of the following attributes:
- A leadership and management style and service orientation that encourages initiative, transparency and accountability;
- Ability to communicate effectively with all key constituents (students, faculty, staff, administrators, outside vendors);
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about and embrace different viewpoints and perspectives;
- Commitment to the highest standards of integrity and ethical values in all matters.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies collaboratively so as to create credibility and trust;
- Excellent listening, inquiry and follow-up skills;
- Patience and the ability to mediate differences;
- Ability to inspire and influence others to support a comprehensive mission/vision;
- Outstanding presentation skills across various audiences – from the Board of Directors and executive leadership to faculty and students.
Applications and Inquiries
A substantial letter of application addressing the attributes, opportunities, and characteristics of the Assistant Provost for Graduate and Online Education at Valparaiso University, CV, and the name and contact information for five references can be submitted electronically via Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/80682 Emails with questions may be sent to AP.email@example.com Committee review of applications will begin on December 7, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Valparaiso University does not unlawfully discriminate and aims to employ persons of various backgrounds and experiences to develop and support a diverse community. Its entire EOE policy can be found at https://www.valpo.edu/general-counsel/policies/equal-opportunity-policy/ Employment at Valparaiso University will require a satisfactory criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Valparaiso
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Valparaiso
- Academic Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Valparaiso
- Executive Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Valparaiso
- Provosts Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Valparaiso