This ten-month full-time, live-in position that reports directly to the Director of Residence Life and is primarily responsible for establishing and maintaining a living-learning environment that fosters intellectual, interpersonal, physical, civic, and spiritual development within assigned residence hall.
- Affirm the mission, goals, and Christian heritage of Grove City College through both personal and professional behavior.
- Affirm the centrality and applicability of his Christian faith through personal behavior and expression of values and ideals which are reflections of that faith.
- Demonstrate support for the philosophy of the Grove City College Student Life & Learning office, the programs of Residence Life, and the Grove City College regulations and ordinances directing community behavior and personal lifestyle.
- Maintain a daily visible presence in assigned residence hall.
- Intentionally interact with and serve your residents through rounds, hosting them in your apartment, attending their events, knowing their names, etc.
- Engage fully as a member of the Residence Life and Student Life & Learning teams.
- Become involved in the Student Life & Learning program, Grove City College, and the local Christian community by advising student groups, attending chapel programs, and participating in campus activities and community events when possible.
- Value and infuse collaboration as a necessary component for effective and meaningful work, leadership, and service.
- Pursue continuing education and knowledge of current trends in student development.
- Select, train, supervise, and encourage Resident Assistant (RA) staff.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings to disseminate information, provide training experiences, foster personal and professional growth, and develop a sense of team cohesion and vision.
- Hold biweekly one-on-one meetings with RAs to develop both personal and professional growth.
- Maintain regular contact and open communication with each RA.
- Create and facilitate ongoing RA staff development opportunities.
- Coordinate RA “on duty” schedule.
- Assist RA staff with regular programming intended to address general developmental needs and the specific needs of those living in assigned residence hall.
- Facilitate RA leadership development opportunities.
- Provide guidance, support, and information needed for RAs to fulfill their responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Review each RA’s progress toward goals; provide support, guidance, and redefinition of those goals.
- Select, train, and supervise student desk staff in the following areas
- Coordinate and schedule use of common spaces and building supplies.
- Train desk staff in appropriate College policies and emergency response protocols.
- Assign other desk staff responsibilities as needed.
- Counsel students when appropriate; refer students to other College personnel as needed.
- Communicate and employ Residence Life policies, procedures, and emergency protocol.
- Appropriately confront and report students who are living unhealthy lifestyles and/or violating community standards.
- Keep the VP, Assistant Dean, and Director of Residence Life apprised of current and/or potential problems involving residents, parents, guests, etc.
- Oversee adjudication of disciplinary cases involving students as assigned by VP, Assistant Dean, or Director of Residence Life.
- Assess fines for hall damages and policy violations when necessary.
- Serve as the emergency contact person for your building.
- Oversee student check-in, check-out, and room inspections.
- Serve as the primary contact for maintenance and housekeeping requests. Partner with Operations to maintain a comfortable and hazard-free living environment in assigned hall.
- Coordinate with appropriate campus offices to secure the safety and well-being of all residents and guests.
- Conduct fire drills once per semester in conjunction with the Campus Safety Department.
- Manage building programming and staff development budgets.
- Attend weekly Residence Life staff meetings.
- Serve as the Resident Director on-call for all of campus as scheduled.
- Serve on Residence Life and/or Student Life committees as assigned by the VP and/or Director of Residence Life.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life or Assistant Director of Residence Life.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. A Master’s degree or graduate education in a related field is preferred.
- One to two years’ experience working in residence life or related experience preferred.
- Have a clearly stated philosophy of higher education and spiritual formation, and the ability to articulate how that philosophy influences one’s work within the residential setting.
- Display strong interpersonal and confrontational skills.
- Demonstrate a commitment and ability to mentor and disciple college students and train student leaders.
- Evidence sound administrative skills and the ability to coordinate and manage both people and tasks.
- Exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidate must be able to navigate buildings to the top floor where no elevator is present and where several flights of stairs may exist.
- Must demonstrate strong integrity and a Christian commitment consistent with the mission and values of Grove City College. Must demonstrate the discernment and maturity needed to negotiate the demands of working in a staff-directed/student-led environment. A high level of professionalism and moral judgment are also required.
Please send a resume, names and contact information of three references and a letter of interest that includes an explanation of how your Christian faith represents a strong fit with Grove City College’s unique mission as a Christian college see: (http://www.gcc.edu/Home/Our-Story/Faith-Freedom/Vision-Mission-Values) to: Mrs. Jamie N. Kimble, Associate Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.