Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff is a member of the President’s senior leadership team, reporting directly to the President. As the principal aide to the President, the Chief of Staff coordinates all presidential office operations and activities in support of institutional priorities and supports the President and Board of Trustees. Additionally, the Chief of Staff advises the President on policy, procedural and operational issues of the university, and may be charged with leading the operationalization of strategic initiatives for the President. The Chief of Staff represents the President to senior vice presidents, campus officials, and critical external constituents.
Duties and Responsibilities to the Office of the President
- Serves as a member of the President’s senior leadership team and actively participates with the President and other senior vice presidents in strategic institutional planning, policy development, and problem resolution.
- Assist the President with organizing and prioritizing initiatives to achieve strategic goals, monitor and track metrics, and drive the design and/or execution of deliverables.
- Provides counsel to the President and serves as a sounding board and advises on sensitive matters. Synthesizes information from a variety of internal and external sources and ensures the President has all the information necessary to make informed decisions. Provides excellent judgment, diplomacy, and understanding of University issues to support the President.
- Assists in coordinating University-wide projects that cross various University divisions.
- Collect and analyze data in support of CEO’s priorities.
- Handle various special projects and advise the President on a wide variety of executive and administrative matters, helps set the tone for communications emanating from the President’s Office, and represent the President, as needed, with internal and external constituents.
- Oversee operations of the President’s Office, including management of staff, budgets, and policies and procedures to maximize the effectiveness of the Office of the President with respect to workflow, scheduling, communications, events, and interactions with key internal and external constituencies.
- Oversee the staff of the President’s Office and manages operations, events, scheduling, and budgets in Office of the President to support institutional priorities. Ensures the President’s priorities and initiatives are effectively implemented.
- Establish, maintain, and oversee an organizational structure within the President’s Office to accomplish effectively the University’s goals and objectives. Provide clear direction and oversight of all office activities.
- Ensures all organizational units of the President are in line with overall University policies, goals, and mission. Helps lead in change management efforts, partnering with appropriate leaders and staff to achieve goals.
- Create materials for external stakeholders such as the Board, faculty, staff, and students, including written communications, reports, PowerPoint presentations, and talking points.
- Create content and structure for internal meetings, town halls and events and ensure follow up on action items
- Serve as liaison or represent the President’s Office on University committees or provide leadership to key administrative groups, task forces, and committees as assigned by the President.
- Work with the President to drive and coordinate various cross-departmental projects, maintaining and communicating timelines and documenting progress.
- Facilitate information flow and sharing among staff in support of effective and timely decision making
- Aid in the planning, execution and communication of Senior Administration Leadership Team and Cabinet meetings and ensuring follow up on action items.
- Attend meetings and conferences with the President as requested. Prepare notes and action items from each meeting. Participate in debriefings. Relay follow-up information to departments and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Improve operational efficiency of the organization by establishing internal protocols and maximizing current resources.
- Manage annual goal setting and tracking progress for the Senior Administrative Leadership Team.
- Coordinate high-level administrative support and assist other members of the Senior Administrative Leadership Team as necessary. This may include drafting letters and memos, creating reports, and processing communications.
- Undertake and oversee special projects, and perform other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities to the Board of Trustees
- Serves as the University’s chief liaison with the Board of Trustees, working on behalf of the University President. Handles program support activities and matters of institutional significance for the Board on behalf of, and in collaboration with the President.
- Serves as the primary conduit for communication between the Board and senior leadership through timely distribution of materials such as agendas, meeting minutes, and other Board materials.
- Provides advice and resources to the Board on relevant topics including governance matters, fiduciary duties, and adherence to bylaws and compliance.
- Working closely with the President, Board chair, and senior leadership, builds and coordinates agendas for all Board of Trustees meetings. Serves as the internal administrator for the Governance Committee. Helps establish meeting cadences and follows up on necessary matters to accelerate completion.
- Ensures meeting minutes and board actions are recorded accurately and in a timely way. Responsible for ensuring the proper management of Board records.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in higher education preferred. Advanced degree in communications, or public policy also acceptable.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to prioritize.
- 3-5 years prior experience in higher education/non-profit with a proven track record of successfully managing multiple priorities.
- Appreciation for academia, comfortable working on cross-functional priorities at a strategic and operational level.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide variety of constituencies, including members of the President’s leadership team and Board of Trustees, faculty, administrators, students, parents, alumni, legislators, community leaders, business officials, and community members.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for navigating and influencing within a complex environment with diverse and varied stakeholders.
- High attention to detail and analytical orientation.
- Independent and proactive.
- Quick learner.
- Works accurately and calmly under pressure.
- Ability to define clear objectives and enforce accountability for meeting deadlines.
- Collaborative work style; ability to maintain relationships with executives, colleagues, external stakeholders, partners and community leaders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and basic internet searches.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to: