General Accounting Director
General Accounting Director
Hiring Range: $107,000 - $125,000
Job Closing Date: Applicant review and screens will begin on or around December 1, 2020; posting may close any time after that without notice.
About UC Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
The University of California, Merced, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of leadership, diversity, engagement and sustainability. Come be a part of history and join the first 20th Century research University. It is through our staff position opportunities that you can help build a legacy.
About the Department
General Accounting's mission is to 1) provide campus administrators with accurate and timely financial data to assist them in the management of the Campus' resources and 2) ensure that financial records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and guidelines as established by University of California, State and Federal agencies. We are committed to giving prompt, courteous service to our campus stakeholders.
Our vision, who we want to be, is a department that employs competent and caring business professionals who are innovative, resourceful, collaborative, and helpful in facilitating the management and accountability of the campus' resources. We want to continue to develop, maintain and enhance our financial system processing, contribute to the enrichment and advancement of staff members, and continue to comply with policies and procedures to accomplish our mission in a changing environment.
About the Job
Reporting to the Assistant Controller in the Division of Finance and Administration within Business and Financial Services, the General Accounting Manager (working title of Director), establishes objectives and work plans for managing the data within General Accounting. The General Accounting Manager is responsible for the general ledger processing of the Oracle financial system subledgers through the monthly and annual closing process. They are responsible for providing comprehensive fiscal management, consultative analysis and programmatic administration of a full range of complex fund sources. Responsible for managing, preparing, administering, and directing resources. Directs recommendations for functional programs. Develops, modifies, and executes policies that affect immediate operation(s) and may have organization-wide effect.
The position through subordinate staff develops financial models, strategies and recommendations, which inform executive level decision making and support campus-wide integrated strategic planning processes. Identifies opportunities and determines financial reporting to respond to information requests to support campus leadership objectives. Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals. Works on issues of diverse scope where analysis of information requires evaluation of multiple factors, including an understanding of current business trends. The General Accounting Manager is accountable for achieving the goals of the organization and the Financial Systems critical to UC Merced growth.
1. Financial operations management. Provides leadership, direction and expertise to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established polices as well as decentralized financial activities. Manages general accounting, gifts & endowments, capital projects, fixed assets, accounts receivables, payroll and recharge accounting tracked within the applicable Oracle modules, Record to Reports (General Ledger), Fixed Assets & Accounts Receivables. Meets all government reporting requirements for relevant financial activities. Manages all financial reporting and the maintenance of the Common Chart of Accounts. Manages billing transactions through the accounts receivable module. Ensures the accuracy and control of holistic financial data including, but not limited to; Oracle Cloud Fusion modules, Accounts Receivable, Record to Reports (General Ledger), Fixed Assets and integrations with all other Oracle modules. Creates, maintains, financial reports and completes monthly close of the general ledger. Completes all financial statements and applicable reporting. Responsible for review and completion of the monthly close processing of the financial system. Researches and interprets specific entries appearing on the University ledger and makes or recommends necessary adjustments. Reviews the following completed by subordinate staff all transfer of funds, transfer of expenditures and financial journals, general ledger account, balance sheet accounts and expenditure accounts reconciliations. Performs queries against the financial system in order to prepare ad hoc management reports, analyzes and interprets financial data and resolves issues. Oversees the work completed by subordinate staff in all UCOP systems i.e. CFR, Leasing system, endowment system, financial control, etc.
2. Operations Administration. Manages setting strategic direction and determines the overall objectives and portfolio of work for the General Accounting Department. Assumes full responsibility for staffing, budgets, costs, productivity and human resource activities of the General Accounting department. Makes recommendations and implements decisions on issues that have department and or campus wide impacts. Ensures efficiencies through lean practices with continued review of key performance indicators established throughout financial lifecycles. Provides training and professional development, either formally or on-the-job, for staff to ensure subject matter knowledge in appropriate areas (e.g., general accounting, administration, fixed assets administration, gift accounting, capital accounting, Monthly & Annual Fiscal close –Manages the coordination for the fiscal close process for the campus. Manages by review of subordinates that all requirements/steps are completed accurately and timely monthly in coordination with the Campus and annually with UCOP closing schedules. Acts as the management liaison with UCOP for the system closing process. Reviews Financial Statements and diagnostic reports in the Consolidated Financial System (CFR) and record correcting entries. Reviews the preliminary Foundation audit requirements for the outside audit firm. Supervises the completion of the Foundation audit with the outside audit firm, ensures management response and sign-off are completed. Supervises and reviews completion of campus financial statements.
3. Campus Support and Administration. Assists Campus departments with complex accounting issues to ensure that financial transactions are properly recorded. Provides expert accounting guidance and consultation.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and five (5) years of
progressively responsible related experience or equivalent
- Professional certification preferred.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- Has broad knowledge of financial transactions and financial
systems, as well as related policy, accounting, and regulatory
- Must have strong skills using Microsoft Office and common
- Position requires strong inter-personal skills and ability to
work effectively across the organization at all levels.
- Skills must include sophisticated service orientation, ability
to multi-task effectively in a varied, high volume environment,
sound judgment and decision-making, reasoning, ability to develop
original ideas to solve problems, and effective verbal and written
- Oracle Financial Cloud experience is strongly preferred.
Background check and fingerprinting may be required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/