Director of Disability Support Services
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is now recruiting for Director of Disability Support Services. The Director leads and coordinates the management of Disability Support Services on the Daytona Beach campus to guide and support institutional compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act, for equal access for students with disabilities. The Director works with students, staff and faculty on accommodation requests and provides a commitment to high customer service standards, fiscal responsibility, staff professional development, and a pragmatic yet visionary philosophy.
Responsibilities include the following:
Leading and Communicating
- Promotes a vision that reflects internal and external input and supports the mission of DSS
- Supports a team approach to providing quality student services and fosters an environment conducive to creative thought and problem solving.
- Seeks staff input and feedback as appropriate to enhance the decision-making process.
- Effectively communicates with other campuses as appropriate.
- Shares University information and DSS plans with the staff in a timely manner.
- Establishes relationships with academic departments and support areas.
- Establishes and maintains the professional contacts necessary for resource sharing and current regulations.
- Maintain currency with trends in student disability issues and higher education.
- Participates in local, state, and national professional organizations to obtain increased networking opportunities and knowledge.
Managing and Evaluation
- Supports a cohesive team which actively participates in the managing students, accommodations, planning, evaluation, and implementation of DSS services.
- Coordinates the supervision of each staff and student workers while monitoring services to ensure effective use of personnel, resources and the delivery of services.
- Monitors the organizational structure of the DSS and proposes changes, if necessary, for effective service to the campus.
- Reviews submitted documentation of students, interacts with medical professionals and student contacts.
- Intake of students, determines eligibility for accommodations and services at the university.
- Use and monitoring of AIM software and other technology for student, staff, and faculty contact.
- Reviews requests for service and support animals; works with departments on policy, procedures, and approvals/denials for such requests.
- Work with other support departments such as Dean of Students, Counseling, Health Services, Safety, Housing, and others to support needs of DSS students and campus.
- Coordinates human resources functions for DSS staff including developing job descriptions, establishing position requirements, participating in the interview process, evaluating personnel, providing mediation and disciplinary resources, and initiating the termination of unsatisfactory employees.
- Supports staff development for professional and team growth.
- Evaluates funding requirements based on long-range goals, projected activity levels, and technological changes.
- Coordinates with the DSS staff in the planning and development of the budget.
- Develops, administers, and monitors the budget using the University accounting software and university procedures to ensure a balanced budget.
- Advocates for additional funding to match the increasing costs of resources and services as well as needs of students.
- Monitors the physical space requirements for staff, resources, and services.
- Plans and manages the testing space for DSS students throughout each semester including final exam periods.
- Coordinates with appropriate University departments to implement plans.
- Ensures an effective emergency safety plan is implemented and updated as necessary.
Assessment and Strategic Planning
- Communicates with university department for needs of accreditation to assure that standards are met.
- Participates in the development of a strategic plan to support and enhance the mission of DSS including defining specific objective aligned with the University strategic plan.
- Maintain and update DSS web presences, including internal (ERNIE) and external facing sites.
- Maintain and update DSS procedures.
- Maintain and update statistics, provide DSS usage and student usage information on regular basis.
- Monitors the progress towards meeting objectives stated in the strategic plan and the assessment plan and determines priorities if necessary.
- Master's degree.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of related work experience.
- Extensive knowledge of DSS laws and regulations.
- Experience with disability accommodations.
- Strong customer service mindset with emphasis on looking for ways to improve the student experience.
- Strong leadership skills and proven track record of developing staff.
- Excellent written, oral communication, organization, and public speaking skills.
- Proficiency in technologies associated with education and assistive and adaptive technologies.
- DSS experience preferred.
- Prior experience with AIM software and Campus Solutions preferred.
- For consideration, applicants must submit a current resume/CV, a cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Librarians & Library Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Disabled Student Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach