Administrative Assistant- Health Services
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision from Health Services Manager, create and maintain confidential medical records for employees and students, receive visitors and answer telephone calls providing initial screening for appointments and referrals, prepare and process invoices, requisitions, and reports. Perform routine clerical duties.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive visitors at the Des Plaines campus and answer the main
Health Services telephone. Make appropriate referrals, scheduling
appointments, calling for emergency assistance, or providing basic
- In a physical health, mental health, other emergency, or
delicate situation, follow protocols for visitor interactions,
notification or escalation to professional staff, and/or providing
appropriate care. Handle sensitive situations with professionalism,
tact, and confidentiality.
- Maintain schedules of visits with nurses, physician consultant,
- Maintain confidential medical records on employees and
- Maintain health and immunization records on Health Career
students required prior to placement in clinical settings. Maintain
database to track student health requirements. Process vouchers for
- Answer general inquiries regarding student health requirements
for Health Career related programs and international student health
insurance. Escalate as appropriate.
- Schedule trainings and annual re-trainings and maintain
compliance records for the OSHA/IDOL Blood borne Pathogens
- Coordinate with the Athletic Department, consulting physician
and the Health Services Manager the scheduling of athletic
physicals for the various OCC sports programs.
- Assist with the coordination of various wellness
- Monitor budgets, receipts and expense records. Prepare and
process billing for consulting physician(s) including the tracking
of monthly hours and the number of physicals performed.
- Maintain inventories both independently and per requests from
Nursing staff and order all medical, pharmaceutical and office
supplies for Health Services at both campuses.
- Act as backup for Mental Health Services front desk
- Attend meetings and wellness related programs as
- Respond as a First Responder during emergency situations as
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- High school education or an equivalent combination of education
and experience from which comparable skills and abilities can be
obtained is required.
- Must be certified in CPR, AED, and basic first aid and become a
First Responder prior to the end of the employee's probationary
- Two years office working experience is required. Experience in
a health related office or association or 2 years office working
experience with related coursework in the health field is
- Intermediate Microsoft Office suite skills required including
documents and spreadsheets. Intermediate Google suite skills
- Must be able to explain policies and practices and communicate
with others in situations requiring sensitivity and
- Ability to professionally and effectively handle confidential
and stressful situations.
- Must be able to prioritize needs as required.
Functional supervision is received from the Health Services Manager. Administrative supervision
Functional supervision may be exercised over student employees.
HOURS: Monday - Friday - 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.