Assistant Professor, Spanish
History and Foreign Languages
Full-time, tenure-track position on 9-month contract to begin August 2021. Duties: Responsible for teaching and developing Spanish courses at the introductory and senior levels, assisting with curriculum development and revision, conducting scholarly activities related to the candidate’s specialty and sufficient for tenure and promotion, advising and mentoring Spanish majors, and participating in departmental recruiting and student engagement initiatives. Qualifications: PhD in Spanish by appointment date is required. Evidence of good teaching and scholarly/creative potential is required. Preference may be given to applicants with ability to teach French courses at the introductory level.
- Responsible for teaching graduate and undergraduate level courses in History and Foreign Languages along with doctoral level research and advanced data analysis.
- Responsible for curriculum and program development, advisement, professional development activities.
- Develops and implements a program of instruction that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students and is consistent with the university, SACS accreditation, and state study and curriculum guides.
- Assesses student’s abilities as related to desired educational goals and objectives, in order to maximize student achievement.
- Serves as advisor and mentor for students.
- Manages the behaviors of learners in the classroom and participates in the management of student behavior in other parts of the campus, in order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process.
- Plans and employs a variety of appropriate instructional/learning strategies and activities which are compatible with the physical facility but serves the needs and capabilities of the students.
- Communicates continually to students (either in writing or verbally) in regards to instructional expectations, student progress or lack of progress.
- Responsible for recoding students’ attendance and keeps attendance registers, according to JSU policy.
- Actively participates in and works with university personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods and curriculum.
- Exhibits a commitment and ability to conduct scholarly activities and engage in professional, university, and community service.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports.
- Ensures that the classroom or instructional environment is healthful and safe and generally conducive to learning.
- Agrees to participate in extra-curricular activities as requested by the head of the department or Dean of the school.
- Participates and belongs to educational/professional associations (within concentration) and participates in their activities.
- Fulfill faculty responsibilities as stated by institutional and departmental policy and by administration.
- Serves on departmental and university committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the department head.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- PhD in Spanish by appointment date.
- Evidence of good teaching and scholarly/creative potential is required.
- Preference may be given to applicants with ability to teach French courses at the introductory level.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Foreign Languages & Literatures Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville