Rhode Island School of Design is seeking a Senior Accountant to join its Controller’s Office. This office is charged with the stewardship of RISD’s financial resources, including internal and external financial reporting, oversight of payroll, responsibility for grant, contract, and tax reporting. It also supports the functioning of the Audit, Finance and Investment committees of the Board of Trustees, and oversees financial compliance related to higher education regulations and debt issuance.
With a strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices, the Senior Accountant performs professional work in the areas of accounting, analysis, and reporting with a focus on restricted funds. This position is responsible for drafting financial statements, financial reports, and tax reports for review and approval by the Accounting Director; as well as preparing journal entries, completing reconciliations, and assisting with other aspects of the year-end audit and monthly closings.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Maintains the general ledger. Ensures that proper accounting practices are followed for the data entered into the accounting system.
- Analyzes and reviews accounts; including preparing journal entries, reconciliations, and financial reports.
- Processes the monthly, quarterly and annual closing of the accounting records on financial system.
- Responsible for preparing timely, draft financial reports for review and approval by the Accounting Director. These reports include, but are not limited to, the College’s periodic financial statements and related footnotes in accordance with GAAP.
- Responds to auditor requests and assists with preparation of audit schedules for the year-end audit.
- Maintains a system for restricted and designated funds, including reporting to college departments. Interprets restrictions and reviews for donor documentation before releasing to expendable accounts. Answers inquiries from college staff, faculty, and offices including, but not limited to, department heads, Institutional Engagement, and Provost’s Office.
- Responsible for maintaining endowment accounting and reporting.
- Prepares draft tax reports for review and approval by the Accounting Director. These reports include, but are not limited to, the IRS Forms 990 and 990T.
- Prepares ad-hoc reports and analysis as requested for accounting and administrative use.
- Identifies and recommends process improvements and efficiencies as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years’ combined experience in auditing, financial reporting, and/or accounting, preferably in a higher educational or non-profit environment.
- Previous experience with financial accounting systems and reporting tools required; experience with Workday ERP system preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and complete financial reports and queries.
- Ability to analyze report data and query information. Experience with tax reporting and compliance preferred.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Excel.
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply
- Resume (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Finance & Accounting
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence