Graduate Assistant - Recreational Sports
Graduate Assistant - Recreational Sports
Classification:Graduate Assistant - 12 Months - 1,508 Hours - 29 hours per week maximum
Reports to:Director of Campus Recreation
Description:The Graduate Assistant within the Carroll University Department of Recreational Sports is responsible for the promotion and management of a well-organized, campus-wide recreation program that includes: Competitive Sports (Intramurals and Club Sports), Fitness, Outdoor Recreation, special events, marketing, and informal recreation, with an emphasis on student staff supervision and member service. This position serves as a key member of the administrative leadership team- directing and managing staff, offerings, and partnerships on campus in order to help develop and grow the Department of Recreational Sports.
The Graduate Assistant reports to and receives general direction from the Director of Campus Recreation. The position primarily aids in the management of all Recreation student employees within the Department of Recreational Sports.
- Recruit, hire, schedule, train, supervise and evaluate
Recreational Sports student staff including Managers, Supervisors,
and entry-level Recreation Associates.
- Coach and mentor student staff on a daily basis.
- Conduct staff meetings and provide continual on the job
training for student staff.
- Evaluate and develop policies and procedures for the student
employee incentive program, disciplinary actions, weekend
schedules, special events, etc.
- Supervise special events outside normal facility hours (if
necessary) in addition to break-week schedules (holiday and school
breaks when necessary).
- Manage content on the Carroll University Recreational Sports
- Market Carroll University Recreational Sports activities and
events on campus including: Group Fitness through the YMCA,
Intramural Sports, open gyms, Club Sports events, Outdoor
- Promote, organize, and develop special events, incentive
programs, wellness opportunities, weekend tournaments,
- Assist with basic equipment maintenance.
- Develop and implement programming for faculty and staff of the
- Serve as a resource for the Wellness Committee.
- Assist in leading the annual Bryon's Run/Walk/Roll 5k to Cure
Paralysis sponsored by Carroll University.
- Aid in research and development to better fulfill the health,
wellness, and Recreational Sports needs of students, faculty and
staff at Carroll University.
- Maintain full time status in an eligible Carroll University
graduate program (tuition is fully waived for all graduate programs
except for Physical Therapy and Physician Assistant).
- Additional approval is required for entrance in graduate
programs outside of the Master of Education.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Physical Education, Recreation, Sports
Management, Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, or a related field
- Two or more years of progressively responsible experience,
knowledge, and skill working in a University Recreational Sports
- Involvement in related professional societies, organizations,
and/or associations preferred.
- Maintain current First Aid, CPR and AED certification
- First Aid, CPR and AED Instructor certification
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated progressively responsible experience within
Recreational Sports- Fitness, Intramural Sports, Club Sports and/or
- Demonstrated supervisory and management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in selecting, training, coordinating,
evaluating, and supervising a diverse workforce.
- Knowledge of personnel management and facilities
- Ability to direct management goals, to facilitate change, and
to create and implement innovative programs and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prepare, write and review assessment
- Experience working in a multicultural educational
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high pressure environment and
to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a
variety of staff in a University community.
- Candidates must be willing and able to support and advance the
Job Number: #2021-066
Please reference job #2021-066 and submit cover letter and resume to: CUcareers@carrollu.edu
100 N. East Avenue
Waukesha, WI 53186
Carroll University does not discriminate in any manner contrary to law or justice on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran's status in administration of programs or in the employment of faculty and staff. EOE