Instructional Design Librarian - Assistant Professor
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA LIBRARIES
Instructional Design Librarian
The University of Alabama seeks a proactive, team-oriented, and creative person to serve as Instructional Design Librarian. This position serves a dual role as a librarian participating in multimodal library and information literacy instruction and as an instructional design specialist directly developing content and training liaison librarians who are building instructional design projects.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to work collaboratively and creatively with University Libraries faculty and staff to plan, develop, and deliver asynchronous and classroom library instruction. This includes training and working with librarians to design active learning environments, multimedia tutorials, and other digital learning objects. This also includes working with staff and faculty in the Sanford Media Center to design programmatic curricula for multimodal projects and instruction. The Instructional Design Librarian will also develop and support training activities for best practices in utilizing instructional technology tools.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Creative Media and Instructional Design within Gorgas Information Services, the Instructional Design Librarian will participate proactively in the unit’s priorities and initiatives. In addition, the Instructional Design Librarian will work collaboratively with The University of Alabama Faculty Resource Center and the College of Continuing Studies to support online learning initiatives in the broader campus community. Responsibilities of the position evolve as the library environment continues to change.
Primary Job Duties
- Develop and maintain major instructional design projects for the University Libraries
- Train liaison librarians who are building instructional design projects for distance learning, classroom supplementation, and flipped classroom pedagogy.
- Participate in instruction efforts by leading instruction sessions for multimodal projects and by helping to design programmatic instructional curricula in partnership with the Sanford Media Center.
- Serves as a knowledgeable resource to support greater liaison presence in University of Alabama’s learning management system (LMS; BlackBoard Learn)
- Help design and conduct assessment of University Libraries’ instructional design efforts and multimodal projects
- Participate in research services and the University Libraries’ larger information literacy instruction for UA’s First-Year Writing Program as needed
- Participates in multimedia production of University Libraries promotional materials in partnership with the Sanford Media Center.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA accredited program OR Masters in Instructional Design, Education, Educational Technology or a related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including associated skills such as listening, negotiating, and adapting.
- Demonstrated experience/expertise with relevant academic and instructional design technologies, including but not limited to: video capture and editing software (e.g., Camtasia, iMovie), e-learning authoring tools (e.g., Storyline 360, Adobe Captivate), content creation and design in Blackboard Learn or an equivalent learning management system (LMS) (e.g., d2L, Canvas, Moodle).
- Proven interpersonal skills, evidenced by the ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, faculty, students, and staff.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply teaching methodologies and learning theories.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies, standards, and their applications to distance education.
- Ability to conceptualize, communicate, and execute plans to meet short- and long-term goals.
- Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, initiate, and implement effective programs, projects, and services.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex changing environment and complete tasks according to an established timeframe.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to customer service excellence.
- Academic library experience.
- Two to three years of professional experience in an educational environment.
- Online teaching experience.
- Experience in the systematic design of instruction for online, blended/hybrid and/or traditional courses.
- Experience designing, developing, and delivering training programs and workshops on teaching methods and technology utilization in the classroom.
- Experience with creative media applications to support content creation (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, video and audio editing).
- Familiarity with and dedication to creating accessible content, including familiarity with WCAG 2.0 guidelines for interactive and video content.
ENVIRONMENT: The University of Alabama, The Capstone University, is the State of Alabama’s flagship public university and the senior comprehensive doctoral level institution in Alabama. UA enrolls over 38,000 students, is ranked in the top 50 public universities in the United States. The University is a leader among public universities nationwide for enrollment of National Merit Scholars, with more than 600 currently enrolled. Under the leadership of President Stuart Bell, UA launched a strategic planning process that includes an aggressive research agenda and expansion of graduate education. The University has achieved Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
The University of Alabama Libraries is essential in advancing the educational mission of the University. We provide innovative instruction, services, and resources to facilitate teaching, research, and learning. The University of Alabama Libraries is committed to be student-centered and research-focused in order to support discovery, learning, and creativity at The Capstone. Gorgas Library serves the Humanities and Social Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Human Environmental Sciences, College of Communication & Information Sciences, Honors College, College of Continuing Studies, and the School of Social Work.
The University Libraries maintains memberships in the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, centerNet, LYRASIS, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the HathiTrust, Scholars Trust, the Rosemont Alliance, the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries, and the Alabama Digital Preservation Network. We are the oldest academic library serving as a U.S. Government Documents Regional Depository. In this role we serve the academic community and the public. The University Libraries is an EBSCO FOLIO beta partner. The University Libraries homepage may be accessed at http://www.libraries.ua.edu
The University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, a metropolitan area of 100,000, with a vibrant economy, a moderate climate, and a reputation across the South as an innovative, progressive community with an excellent quality of life. Tuscaloosa provides easy access to mountains, several large cities, and the beautiful Gulf Coast.
Prior to employment the successful candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation.
SALARY/BENEFITS: 12-month non-tenure track renewable-contract faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor, depending on qualifications and experience. Salary range is $52,000.00 - $60,000.00 and is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Strong benefits including professional development support and tuition fee waiver.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted online only at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu Click Search Positions. University Libraries in Organization drop down box. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e- mail addresses of three references, including one current supervisor.
Position open until filled. Applications received by December 1, 2020 are assured of receiving full consideration.
The University of Alabama is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including women, members of ethnic minorities and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply. For questions regarding the search, contact Dr. Millie Jackson, Senior Associate Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Tuscaloosa
- Education Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Tuscaloosa
- Instructional Technology & Design Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Tuscaloosa
- Professional Fields Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Tuscaloosa
- Library & Information Sciences Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Tuscaloosa