President of Umpqua Community College
Presidential Search: Are you the next leader of
Umpqua Community College?
Why do you want to be at UCC?
- Can be a Big Fish in a growing pond
- Get the best parking place when you’re the first one there
- Appreciate rivers, vineyards, and mountains, oh my!
- Support students who are athletes, not athletes who are students
- Want rural traffic with broadband speed
- Lead students and partner with the community
- Are a professional but appreciate business casual
- Want to be a helper
What does the ideal President look like?
Qualified (not just on paper)
- At the core of their DNA, has the interest of students at heart
- Wants to be visible and make a significant community impact
- Builds teams and networks by developing relationships, talent, and recruiting to fill gaps
- Leads with empathy and compassion
- Is an extrovert (or good at faking it)
- Can cast a vision
- Embraces innovation and change
- Is more interested in failing forward than remaining stagnant
- Values, understands, and serves the rural community
- Is relatable and has a sense of humor
What is the president expected to do?
- Be a leader. Be an advocate for students. Be a liaison to the board of education. And...
- Reaffirm the college’s 2023 accreditation
- Extend relationships with business, government, and K-12 to meet changing needs and opportunities
- Promote a campus climate that is inclusive, values diversity, and promotes equity
- Stay in front of emerging trends in education, funding, and the community
- Enhance the quality of classes and programs
- Reduce barriers to student success and access
- Make data-informed decisions
- Have fun
Salary, benefits, length of contract, and other terms and conditions of employment are negotiable and competitive.
- Master’s degree; doctorate preferred
- Higher education experience; community college preferred
- Minimum of five years’ senior leadership or equivalent administrative experience with increasing responsibility
Supplemental Information, Rich Text Editor, Press ALT + F10 to move to the toolbar., Press ALT 0 for help
The search process is confidential. The following application materials must be uploaded along with the UCC job application by January 4, 2021, for full consideration:
- A cover letter not to exceed five pages addressing the qualities and opportunities described in the Presidential Profile ( https://umpqua.edu/images/about-ucc/offices-administration/president/downloads/UCC_Presidential_Profile.pdf ). Please use examples to illustrate how your experience has prepared you to serve the needs of Umpqua Community College.
- A current resume or CV, including your personal email address and cell phone number.
- Unofficial copies of your college transcripts.
- A list of eight references, including names, home and business phone numbers, and email addresses. Please include at least one supervisor, one direct report, and one peer or colleague. UCC will not contact your references without your permission.
Applicants can upload the above documents at the UCC job
application portal. The search will remain open until
Please direct any questions to:
Kelley Plueard, Director of Human Resources
Umpqua Community College
1140 Umpqua College Rd
Roseburg, OR 97470
PO Box 967
Roseburg, OR 97470
Umpqua Community College Honors Veterans Preference
Applicants are eligible to use Veterans’ Preference when applying with Umpqua Community College in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230 and 408.235; and OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015. Preference will be given only if the applicant meets the minimum criteria of the position and electronically attach the required documentation at the time of application.
- Member Copy 4 of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215)
- Letter from the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension.
Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of Veterans disability preference letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. You can request copies of your military service record through the National Archives website.
For information regarding Veterans’ Preference qualifications, visit http://www.oregonjobs.com/.
If you wish to self-identify under Section 503 as an individual with a disability, please provide this information by completing Department of Labor Form CC-305 available at http://www.dol.gov/.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
Umpqua Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This means that we will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard for race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, handicaps or veterans status. This policy affirms UCC's commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all vestiges of discriminatory practices that might exist.
Employment with Umpqua Community College is contingent upon background check approval.