Network/Computer Systems Administrator III, Center for Environmental Health Sciences
The Center for Environmental Health Sciences (CEHS) invites applications for a Network/Computer Systems Administrator III position. This lead/senior position is responsible for the overall efficiency and secure use of networks and/or server operating systems and server hardware through long-range planning, design, evaluation, and implementation of network/server systems, new product evaluation and implementation, performance and operational readiness evaluations, network/server systems failure analysis and resolution, capacity planning, and development of technical procedures and policies. This position is expected to provide high-level technical consultation and support CEHS personnel with the installation, upgrade, and implementation of CEHS computer systems. This position is a highly visible role within the organization and the computers in the Center are approximately 98% Mac.
Additional responsibilities assigned to the employee in this position are listed as follows:
- Serve as a central point to receive requests for technical support and to resolve problems with CEHS Macintosh computers and software applications. Assist with systems security issues by troubleshooting, cleaning, or repairing compromised servers, desktops, and laptops.
- Develop and maintain standard system configuration for all desktops and laptops using an automated OS installation; participate in the rollout of updates and configurations.
- Write technical documentation and train computer users how to properly maintain hardware and software security.
- Provide advanced technical support for computer hardware, software, peripheral devices, and desktop systems by troubleshooting, interpreting, analyzing and resolving complex, multi-dimensional problems.
- Design, implement and manage storage systems, including SAN and NAS devices. Manage backups and disaster recovery for all CEHS systems.
- Define, design, and implement best practices, methodologies, operations standards, and technologies to enhance the overall effectiveness of the support organization.
- Ensure adequate support is provided to clients in the use of on-site meeting rooms and meeting room technology such as video conferencing, projectors, LCD monitors, microphones, wireless keyboard/mouse and other related equipment.
- Maintaining “Computer Tip” database for users to assist the user to become more self-sufficient in troubleshooting their desktop system.
- Responsible for efficient and secure use of networks and/or server operating systems and server hardware.
- Management of internet-facing systems, including Apache, IIS, Server Load Balancers, and other related systems.
- Perform intermediate to advanced network/server systems maintenance and monitoring activities. Troubleshoot and resolve complex network/server systems problems that are not covered by established procedures
- Proactively identify ways to avoid the recurrence of customer issues by regularly improving the process, reviewing technical articles, and recommending changes.
- Installation, upgrade, and implementation of networked computer systems and support of all Center personnel
- Provide hands-on management for all aspects of a desktop support organization.
- Evaluate existing business practices and technical support processes to identify improvements in service delivery and end-user support.
- Manage all activities related to computer asset management including but not limited to budgeting, procurement, software licensing, and inventory management.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team ethic, relationship-building capacity, ability to effectively communicate with non-technical users, and be a self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to learn/adapt new methods, ability to perform within tight deadlines, deliver quality results, knowledge and experience in configuring/troubleshooting VMWare, GraphPad Prism 7 in a networked environment, EndNote software packages, and Softmax Pro software packages, etc.
- Experience with Synology & QNAP RAID.
- Engineering and Administration of all Unix / Apple server systems, desktops, laptops, including but not limited to Apple OS X Server 11.X, Microsoft Windows Server 2012, OS X, 11.X, etc., Windows XP, Windows 10.
- Familiarity with VMware.
- Demonstrated functional knowledge of all Apple operating systems.
- Demonstrated experience with a wide variety of laptop and desktop computers, monitors, and peripherals and be able to perform troubleshooting and problem-solving at the component hardware level.
- Programming abilities in .Net, Java, Pearl scripting, Python, PHP, reusable code a plus
- Experience managing MySQL databases a plus
- Interest in the promotion of global health within the IT community
Minimum Required Experience
- Associate degree (or equivalency) in a relevant discipline, in addition to three (3) years of closely related experience; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Professional Certifications including:
- Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
- Apple Certified Systems Administrator
- Cisco (Cisco VoIP) Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and up to five (5) years of experience in a similar role.
About the Center for Environmental Health Sciences , UM , and Missoula
The primary research mission of the Center is to advance knowledge of environmental impacts on human health. The Center brings together a critical mass of researchers to investigate mechanisms of pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases, immune and autoimmune disorders, developmental defects, degenerative diseases, genetic susceptibility, and the impacts that environmental factors have in causing or exacerbating these conditions. These studies will lead to new or better treatments, improved assessment of the actual risks caused by exposure to environmental agents, and more effective methods to detect and reduce the adverse health impacts of these agents on human health.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Network/Computer Systems Administrator III
Position Number: New
Department: Center for Environmental Health Sciences
Work Schedule: Part-time, 0.3 FTE (~12 Hours a week), Variable Schedule Monday through Friday between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year
Salary: $28.899/hr – Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS - MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Pro-rated annual and sick leave; Public Employees Retirement (PERS) optional
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Thursday, November 12, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
*Please note, only five (5) attachments allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner