Associate or Full Professor / Chair
Earliest Start Date
Competitive and Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Hours per Week
Psychology and Counseling
Required Application Materials
A single PDF or Word document containing a letter of interest addressing leadership experience, skills and style, a curriculum vitae, a diversity statement addressing the leadership of diverse constituents; and a list of at least three (3) professional references is required to apply.
When prompted to upload your “resume”, upload your combined documents as one file.
- Please do not upload documents to “Cover Letter” or “References”.
If the required application materials were not uploaded at the “resume” prompt, please withdraw your application and re-apply to upload your combined documents as one file.
The College of Education and Psychology at the University of Texas at Tyler is accepting applications for a full-time academic Chair position at the rank of Associate or Full Professor in the Department of Psychology and Counseling. The College is looking for an effective leader and communicator who will advocate for students, staff, faculty, and programs. The department currently offers bachelor’s degrees in Psychology (BA, BS) and Human Behavior (BAAS); master’s degrees in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA), School Counseling (MA), and Clinical Psychology (MS); and a doctoral program in Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.). The department is also currently developing a MS in Psychological Sciences.. The position is contingent upon funding by the University.
- Responsible for providing leadership to the department including strategic planning and goal setting.
- Develop new programs.
- Recruitment, retention, mentoring, evaluation, and promotion of faculty and staff.
- Administer the budget.
- Coordinate teaching assignments.
- Advocate for students, staff, faculty, and programs.
- Support College and University student success initiatives.
- An earned doctorate in psychology or counseling.
- Evidence of university teaching and research activity appropriate for a chair leading a Psychology and Counseling department.
- Experience directing or coordinating higher education programs and leading faculty.
- Knowledge of current regional (SACS) and national (CACREP, APA) accreditations in the department.
- Applications are preferred prior to December 1, 2020, but will be reviewed thereafter until the position is filled. The appointment begins in Fall 2021.
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation.
- Exposure to standard office conditions.
- Sitting, Standing, Walking, and Bending.
About The University of Texas at Tyler
The University of Texas at Tyler is a comprehensive institution of higher education offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs as an institution of the renowned University of Texas System. The College of Nursing and Health Sciences houses the Department of Health and Kinesiology and the School of Nursing.
UT Tyler is situated 100 miles east of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex amidst the beautiful lakes and woods of East Texas, is an economically strong and rapidly growing community. With a population of 100,000, Tyler is the regional center for the arts, medical care, finance, and higher education.
The University contributes to the strong healthcare industry in Tyler through its College of Nursing and Health Sciences, the Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy, and its partnerships with sister institutions UT Health Northeast and UT Health East Texas, as well as CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Francis and Baylor Scott and White Texas Spine and Joint Hospital.
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
The University of Texas at Tyler is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.