Financial Aid Counselor
POSITION SUMMARY: The Financial Aid Counselor will conduct student need analysis, perform federal verifications and packaging of student aid, certify federal loan eligibility, provide financial aid counseling, make professional judgment decisions regarding student aid eligibility and facilitate problem solving with students and parents. Financial Aid Counselors will interact with specific outside agencies to facilitate the student eligibility process and he/she is accountable for ensuring compliance with federal regulations. This position reports directly to the Director of Student Financial Aid.
- Conducts needs analysis in compliance with federal criteria to determine the relative eligibility of each financial aid applicant.
- Conducts verification of student and parent application data in compliance with federal criteria.
- Determines the types and amounts of financial aid to be awarded through the packaging process according to federal, state and institutional requirements. Monitors individual student awards. Resolves data conflicts and over awards.
- Works with Financial Aid Director on individual student appeals concerning eligibility. Utilizes professional judgment to adjust a student's eligibility based on documented mitigating circumstances in accordance with federal statutes. May refer complex eligibility situations to the Financial Aid Director.
- Provides financial aid counseling to students and parents regarding all aspects of financial aid process. Makes necessary referrals to other student service offices.
- Provides support to students experiencing family, personal or economic crises which may impact school performance.
- Monitors and evaluates satisfactory academic progress of students. Assists Financial Aid Director with adjudication of student appeals relating to academic progress.
- Interacts with appropriate outside entities in order to facilitate the student eligibility process.
- Participates in the development of institutional financial aid policies and procedures that will positively impact efficiency and quality of service provided.
- Maintains appropriate documentation via data entry system.
- Participates in annual training and professional organizations to keep abreast of new information and program changes to be implemented.
Other duties as assigned by Financial Aid Director, Vice President for Finance and Accounting and/or the President.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of federal financial aid programs and supporting regulations.
- Working knowledge of Title IV program fund regulations.
- Working knowledge of U.S. Department of Education rules and regulations.
- Working knowledge of current tax forms, regulations and the implications of such regulations on financial aid.
- Skill in researching regulatory information and resolving complex financial questions.
- Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
- Skill in computing complex mathematical formulas.
- Ability to defuse difficult, angry, or emotional situations with students and/or parents.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a significant caseload.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
- Ability to interpret and explain regulatory information related to the financial aid process.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
No direct reports.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required.
Experience: Demonstrated experience in student financial aid directly related to financial aid counseling, eligibility determination, need analysis, verification and packaging required. Experience with personal computers and on-line data systems required. CAMS Data System preferred.
Licenses or Certificates: None required.
Additional Requirements: A background and/or credit check will be required of the successful applicant. An official transcript (if applicable) and names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) references will be required of the successful applicant.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Counsellor Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Nashville
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Nashville