Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Information Systems
The Department of Computer Science and Information Systems at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) is pleased to invite applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the level of Assistant Professor. Priority will be given to applicants who specialize in data science, cloud computing, robotics, mobile computing, computer vision, and computer information systems. However, outstanding candidates from other areas within the field of computer science may also be considered. Candidates with industry experience are encouraged to apply. We are interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their teaching, research, and service. Expected starting date will be August 24, 2021.
Review of applications will start December 1, 2020 and continue until the positions are filled.
An earned Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related fields by the start of the employment.
Strong commitment to and demonstrated potential for teaching and scholarship excellence.
Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community.
Demonstrated ability in effective written and oral use of the English language.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated experience in effective research-based instructional practices, support of students from groups underrepresented in computing, scholarly achievements, and/or industrial partnership building.
- Priority will be given to applicants who specialize in data science, cloud computing, robotics, mobile computing, and computer information systems.
- In addition, preference will be given to applicants whose expertise will expand the education and research opportunities the department currently offers for students and be complementary to areas of specialization of existing faculty in the department.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated intercultural competence with diverse groups in teaching, research and/or service.
- Teach, supervise, and advise students at both undergraduate and master’s levels, effectively adopting strategies proven successful for students traditionally underrepresented in STEM fields.
- Design and establish instructional labs that expand the existing curriculum, working with industry and community partners to prepare students for the workforce,
- Develop an active, externally funded research program that involves undergraduate and graduate students and be productive in publications.
- Participate in activities serving the department, college, university, and community.
APPLICATION: Applicants must submit the following items. The successful candidate must also pass a background check.
- the CSUSM faculty application
- a curriculum vitae
- a description of teaching philosophy, experience and potential contribution to expansion of the existing curriculum (up to 2 pages)
- a description of research accomplishments and future research goals including student involvement (up to 2 pages)
- one selected peer-reviewed publication
- three references who will submit letters of recommendation to our electronic application system. This system will contact references with instructions on the submission of their letters of recommendation.
CSUSM is located on a beautiful 304-acre hillside 15 miles east of the ocean and in the San Diego County, an area known for its growing biotechnology, defense, and cyber industry. CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education.
The Department currently offers a B.S. in Computer Science, an option of Computer Information Systems in the B.S. in Computer Science, a B.S. in Software Engineering, an M.S. in Computer Science, and a Professional Science Master’s degree in Cybersecurity.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer strongly committed to equity and diversity and seeks a broad spectrum of applicants in terms of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, and veteran status.
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks, and criminal record checks. A background check (including the criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.