Director - Media Relations
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education. CCC supports students in meeting their goals – whether that is pursuit of a credential to head into or advance in the workforce, an associate degree with the intention to transfer to a four-year college, free GED or ESL courses, or continuing education. CCC seeks candidates committed to our students' success and offers a unique opportunity for faculty and staff to have a lasting impact in our students' lives.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor of Institutional Branding & Strategic Marketing, the Director of Media Relations is responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of strategies to ensure proactive placement of media coverage about the City Colleges of Chicago, and the timely handling of media inquiries in a manner consistent with best practices. The majority of the Director of Media Relations work time will be allocated to media relations (pro- and re-active) and marketing communications. In addition, the position will allocate work time to the Marketing and Communications Department's content hub team. Serving on the content hub team, the Director of Media Relations will collaborate with team members on a wide variety of content development, including but not limited to internal/external communications and marketing communications. Performs related duties as required.
- Develops and executes media relations for the district.
- Directs the identification and promotion of positive stories to illustrate City Colleges' key priorities.
- Writes and prepares press releases, talking points, blog/web posts, features, and other writings for internal and external communication.
- Develops and maintains relationships with relevant members of the media and internal sources.
- Handles crisis communications.
- Organizes, prepares for, and staffs media opportunities.
- Prepares weekly reports on news clips and weekly media planning documents.
- Serves as a media spokesperson as needed.
- Coordinates with relevant staff to share stories/photos/media work via internal and external channels, including social media, newsletters, videos, etc.
- Coordinates with staff at colleges on communications projects.
- Trains other staff to address media.
- Follows procedures, including securing proper permissions.
- Manages media subscriptions and monitoring.
- Ensures the highest quality of execution of media strategy and projects. Develops insights that drive strategy and decision-making.
- Supports other communications projects, including speechwriting, internal communications, presentation development, editing, videos, event planning, among others.
- Supports other marketing communications projects including ad copy development, brochure creation and a variety of marketing content development.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Adheres to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
Reports To Vice Chancellor, Institutional Branding and Strategic Marketing
Direct Supervision None
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college of university.
- Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated experience in college or university setting, non-profit organization or the private sector related to media relations. Prior on the record experience required. Crisis communications experience preferred.
- Demonstrated writing ability and record of quality media placement. Excellent writing and verbal communication necessary. Must be able to effectively represent the college and district. · Proven ability to deliver high-quality written materials on deadline.
- Adept with technology, including social media, PowerPoint, Excel, and photography.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel to colleges across Chicago. Access to a car is helpful.
- Evening and weekend work required on occasion.
- Ability to learn new things and prioritize competing demands.
- Must work well with employees at all levels of the organization, in addition to students and other customers. Proven experience in working with diverse individuals.
- Must be able to handle all situations with tact, professionalism, persuasiveness, and diplomacy.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within six (6) months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank your for your interest in City College of Chicago!