Associate/Full Professor, Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry and Physics at Florida Gulf Coast University invites applications for a full-time faculty position in any area of chemistry with an exceptional record of research and teaching accomplishments. FGCU is seeking for a candidate who will aid in the growth of the department while committed to undergraduate education and scholarly excellence. In addition, the successful applicants will be expected to develop strong and creative research programs and to contribute to teaching at the undergraduate levels.
State-of-the-art instrumentation supports numerous interdisciplinary research projects within the department. The growing department consists of over 20 permanent full-time chemistry/biochemistry faculty in various fields of research and 6 supporting staff, offering BS degrees in Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Forensic Science.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Teaches undergraduate courses in the lower and upper levels and other courses as assigned.
- Participates in course and/or curriculum development.
- Conducts scholarly research and participate in College/University committees and/or initiatives.
- Other duties may be assigned by the Chair.
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, or related field, from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation. We seek a highly motivated exceptional individual who has demonstrated excellence in research, engaged in high-quality teaching and mentored students at the undergraduate level, and is eager to work in a collaborative and interdisciplinary research environment. The successful candidate is expected to have a demonstrated track record in leading an independent research group with extramural funding and in mentoring junior faculty. The applicant should display a level of achievements that would qualify for appointment at the rank of Associate/Full professor.
- The successful applicant is expected to be a leading scholar in their research field and have a vigorous, independent, and federally-funded research program (transferable).
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Appointment requires demonstration of sustained and ongoing extramural funding, excellent scholarly research program involving undergraduates, and teaching proficiency. The successful candidates will be expected to mentor undergraduate research students and teach undergraduate courses.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified to submit specific additional materials, if needed. Such materials will become FGCU´s property.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Five (5) Professional References
Additional Materials (the application will ask you to upload any additional required documents from the job posting.) The following are the additional that should be uploaded in that section:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of your Research interests and how you have involved, and will involve, undergraduates (maximum of 5 pages).
- Statement of experience with students in research or scholarship as it fits discipline.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by Tuesday December 15, 2020 will receive priority consideration.
Salary is Negotiable
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.