Assistant Professor, Biology
The Department of Biological Sciences at Florida Gulf Coast University invites applications for a faculty position to begin in August 2021. We seek an outstanding candidate with a background in Parasitology. As Assistant Professor of Biology/Parasitology, you will teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct research/scholarship; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned.
We are seeking a Eukaryotic Microbiologist who does research on the basic biology, host interaction, or ecology of parasitic microbes. The successful candidate is expected to teach courses in Parasitology, Microbiology, Immunology, Cell Biology and General Biology.
A dedicated passion for helping students reach their full potential in a supportive and inclusive learning environment is essential to this position. The ideal candidate will demonstrate evidence of teaching effectiveness and support of undergraduate research.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs, be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning, produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a willingness to engage in professional development, collaborate with faculty, staff, and students to promote the University’s mission and values, and serve on department, college, and university committees.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to preparing all students for success in an increasingly complex, diverse, and globalized society. We value and promote collegial relationships and mutual respect among students, faculty, staff, and the community. We acknowledge and seek to address the needs of populations who are underserved as well as students with varying levels of academic preparation. As such, we welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds who are eager to help construct and maintain a culture of inclusion within biology education and research, and who act with a resolute commitment to eliminate barriers to college access, success, and completion. Florida Gulf Coast University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access employer.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Plans and teaches courses in assigned course.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates.
- Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings.
- Maintains professional skills through regular professional development, and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assists with the development of curriculum.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Parasitology, or related area from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the appointment to the level of Assistant Professor.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2021. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals. Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective; and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Five (5) Professional References
Additional Materials (the application will ask you to upload any additional required documents from the job posting.) The following are the additional that should be uploaded in that section:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research Interests
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by Friday January 15, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Salary is $56,000.00 - Negotiable
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers