Associate Director, Custom Learning Design and Development
Associate Director, Custom Learning Design and Development
Main Campus - Boston, MA
Located in Boston's historic Fenway area, Simmons has a strong tradition of empowering women and challenging traditional gender roles. Simmons University was one of the first higher education institutions to prepare women to become leaders and has evolved to become a university offering a women's undergraduate program and graduate programs open to all.
You're joining our community at an especially exciting time as one of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. You'll find that people who work here are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace.
With the formation of the Institute for Inclusive Leadership, Simmons has made an investment in ensuring that equity in leadership is a reality in our lifetime. The core expertise of the Institute lives in the space between what has traditionally been the domain of Diversity and Inclusion, and what has traditionally been the domain of Leadership Development. In concert with select partners, the Simmons University Institute for Inclusive Leadership will be the global authority on the intersection of leadership, equity and inclusion - with an emphasis on gender parity in leadership. For more information on Simmons University Institute for Inclusive Leadership please go to our website.
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university that prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion, we encourage applications from all under-represented groups and are focused on inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer.
The Associate Director, Custom Learning Design and Development (“Associate Director”) within the Simmons University Institute for Inclusive Leadership (“Institute”) will work collaboratively with Institute faculty, external experts and internal team members to support in the design and development of technology-based materials (i.e., eLearning modules, micro-courses, virtual events, custom virtual learning journeys etc.). Reporting to the Institute's Vice President of Innovation and Custom Learning Solutions (“VP”), the Associate Director will provide research-based best-practice pedagogical consultation, instructional design support, and software instruction needed to develop successful and effective hybrid/blended, online, and technology-enhanced materials, learning journeys, micro-courses and events. In addition, film, edit and produce video content as needed for program delivery. The Associate Director will provide production assistance and project management throughout the design and development lifecycle of online materials. Using program evaluations and platform data analytics, offer continuous improvement options for online materials.
- Guide Institute faculty and external experts in execution of
eLearning best practices and techniques for adult learning, as it
involves technology and delivery. Responsibilities include:
- Consult to refine ideas conceptualized in the architecture process prior to project kick-off
- Conduct needs assessments
- Refine SMEs writing of course learning goals using known best practices
- Mentor SMEs in blended/online course development, redesign, and facilitation
- Lead the instructional design and assessment effort for
Institute learning programs. Responsibilities include:
- Process and document results of needs assessments; articulate and document learning goals
- In conjunction with Institute Research Associate,develop appropriate course assessments for data collection related to technology enhanced virtual delivery;
- Design and develop guidelines and direction for Institute level scripting and storyboarding for all mediums (video, audio, animation, rich media, and graphic elements) that make effective use of audio and graphic design, music selection, and pacing;
- Work with multi-media artists to prepare materials for client's approval;
- Partner with and/or manage graphic and multimedia designers; match design and methods with content, audience, and business needs; manage edits as needed;
- Supervise any additional instructional designers (contracted or otherwise) on their project work as necessary - ensuring adherence to Institute architecture/direction.
As assigned, serve as designated project manager for design and development work of the Institute open enrollment and custom programs, micro-courses, and virtual events.
- Initiate and schedule team and/or client meetings as needed;
- Collaborate in the architecture for open enrollment and custom programs;
- Manage development schedule for eLearning components;
- Onboard faculty and SMEs to eLearning technology as needed;
- Draft project documentation (project update reports with clients and outsourcing partners -tracking status);
- Manage/facilitate communication with the client and between the client and team members and between the project team members (Instructional Technologist, Production Assistant, Media Production Specialist etc.) as it relates to the design of the program materials;
- Coordinate across portfolio of offerings ensuring delivery method consistency;
- Liaise with SimmonsTechnology team as needed to coordinate support of faculty instructors;
- Raise issues, coordinate efforts to resolve them, escalate to VP as needed;
- Create program and project work plans and manage tracking status of outsourced graphic or instructional design work as needed.
Filming and Post-Production
- Gather and transfer all forms of media into editing software and ensure each was updated in the correct format;
- Deliver video content using appropriate software and equipment to ensure highest production of video media and effects;
- Improve video and sound quality using various video software;
- Edit video to include preselected music, interviews, sound clips and other elements;
- Ensure the correct formatting and presentation for finalized videos according to Institute specifications
- Create html pages and populate Google sites on small-scale projects not requiring an Instructional Technologist;
- Assists with production work on project assignments as needed in learning platforms
Learning Sciences & Market Assessment
- Consult on analysis across all eLearning offerings - micro-courses, custom programs - to support continuous improvements;
- Advise team members on methods of precision measurement of learner performance during course design;
- Evaluate instructional methods and available tools to support those methods for inclusion in project design or production;
- Keep abreast of current research in online learning and learning methodologies;
- Keep current on best practices and emerging trends and actively participate in the editorial process.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent relative experience required; Master's preferred;
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in instructional design and relative technical training; minimum of 3-5 years of project management experience;
- Demonstrated experience with Learning Management Systems (such as Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, Desire2Learn, etc.) required;
- Demonstrated applicable experience with video and audio editing software and programs;
- Demonstrated experience with course authoring tools such as Adobe Captivate, Articulate, Brainshark, Camtasia, VoiceThread, Knovio, Panopto, GoAnimate, Jing, SnagIt, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram;
- Demonstrable experience with synchronous online tools such as Zoom, GoToMeeting, AdobeConnect, WebEx, Skype, Google Hangouts or equivalent technology;
- Superior organizational development, leadership and problem-solving skills;
- Proven history of developing and implementing a shared vision for team success;
- Demonstrated stellar communication skills and organizational skills;
- Strong analytical, relationship management, and project management skills (accountability for project milestones and deliverables);
- Ability to work with individuals who have a wide range of technical expertise.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Instructions to Applicants: Please upload all applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Associate-Director--Custom-Learning-Design-and-Development_R07188
Located in Boston’s historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.