Title Research Analyst Posting Number S00721JP Department Institutional Research, Analytics & Consulting Job Summary
Bowdoin College seeks a collaborative individual to join the Office of Institutional Research, Analytics & Consulting. The Office, which reports to the President, collects, analyzes and interprets data to inform campus conversations and decision making.
The Research Analyst will manage all aspects of institutional surveys — the creation, administration, analysis and reporting of survey results to diverse stakeholders, including senior leadership. With a “can-do” attitude, the analyst will utilize a broad range of research and analytical techniques to interpret data. They will partner with Academic Affairs and Student Affairs, and occasionally other divisions, to help with assessment efforts.
As part of a team energized by supporting the mission of a liberal arts college, the research analyst will summarize institutional data for various departments across the College. A desire for continuous learning, a commitment to collaboratively improving processes, and the humility to embrace change are key to succeeding in this position.
Interviews for this position will be held virtually. The Research Analyst will work remotely, along with other members of the IRA &C office, during the public health crisis.
First consideration will be given to applications received by November 13, 2020.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Basic understanding of descriptive statistics and quantitative methods
- Exceptional verbal, written communication, and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills
- Demonstrated commitment to work within a diverse environment and interact with individuals of different backgrounds
- Ethical judgement and the ability to be tactful, discreet, and maintain confidentiality with sensitive data
- Proven ability to work independently, be self-directed, and manage multiple tasks and changing priorities
- Committed to quality control and developing processes to ensure data quality
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service
- Master’s degree, preferably in social science, statistics, education, business or a related field
- Proven ability to produce creative and effective data summaries and visualizations
- Understanding of survey methods
- Knowledge or experience with statistical packages such as SPSS, SAS or R
- Knowledge of inferential statistics (e.g., t-tests, chi-square)
- Understanding of data visualization best practices
- At least two years of related experience in the use of data or business analysis
- Experience designing, administering and analyzing surveys
- Experience summarizing data using descriptive statistics
- Experience in an institutional research office or higher education
- Experience with survey design, administration, and software (Qualtrics preferred)
- Experience with evaluation and assessment
- Experience with research methodology, quantitative or qualitative
- Experience with Tableau or other software visualization tools
- Experience with SPSS, R, or SQL
- Experience with regression and other predictive modeling methods
- Experience with NVIVO, text mining, or other qualitative analysis software
M-F 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM; occasional evening and weekend work may be required. This is an exempt level position and requires the time commitment necessary to fulfill all of the job responsibilities.
This position is 0.92 FTE and has the option of working 36.8 hours/week or taking four extra weeks of vacation throughout the year.
Founded in 1794, Bowdoin has maintained its commitment to the liberal arts for well over 200 years. Bowdoin’s reputation as a preeminent liberal arts college rests on the excellence of its faculty, students, and staff; intimate size; strong sense of community; and connections to the people, history, and natural beauty of Maine.
Bowdoin’s campus is situated in a beautiful natural setting. Located in Brunswick, Maine, a town of approximately 20,000, the College is a short drive from the Maine coast, twenty-five miles from Portland and 120 miles from Boston.
Bowdoin embraces diversity in all forms, and the College is home to talented students, faculty and staff—with a variety of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds; religious beliefs; and gender identities, among other factors.
We encourage applications from candidates committed to the support of an inclusive campus community and those who will enrich and contribute to the College’s multifaceted diversity. We value a community in which individuals of all backgrounds are warmly welcomed and encouraged to succeed.
Shift First Shift Employment Category Full Time Year Round FTE 0.92 Benefits Eligible Yes Pay Type Salaried Background Check Package Requirements Faculty/Administrative Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Bowdoin vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job? No Is a pre-placement physical required for this position? No Posting Date 10/21/2020 Applications Accepted Until Open Until Filled Yes Type of Posting Internal/External Special Instructions to Applicants EEO Information
Bowdoin College complies with applicable provisions of federal and state laws that prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment, admission, or access to its educational or extracurricular programs, activities, or facilities based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry and national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, place of birth, genetic predisposition, veteran status, or against qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other legally protected statuses.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Ed
- Google Search
- Maine Job Link
- Employee Referral
- Bowdoin College Website
- Radio Ad
- If you answered Employee Referral or Other, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Statistics Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island