Police Communications Supervisor
Job Posting Title Police Communications Supervisor Location Los Rios Community College District (District Office) Department Location Police Services Posting Number C01350P The Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second-largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas, and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office complex. The District office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees, and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our Colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under the direction of the assigned administrator, supervise, coordinate, and perform the Los Rios Police Department ( LRPD ) communications and dispatching functions. [For a detailed job description for this LRSA Los Rios Supervisors Association posting Job Descriptions click here ].
This position is assigned to the Police Services department.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 21 days’ vacation yearly and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRSA contract agreement details.)
● Supervises, coordinates, and performs the LRPD communications and dispatching functions.
● Trains, supervises, and evaluates assigned employees.
● Participates in interviewing and selecting new employees.
● Ensures accountability and adherence to applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
● Stays current with trends and innovations in the field of police communications dispatch.
● Participates in the development of effective training programs.
● Works proactively with employees to resolve performance or personnel issues and implement disciplinary procedures.
● Plans work assignments and evaluates shift operations to ensure that the district services and expectations are achieved.
● Recommends and assists in the implementation of goals and objectives.
● Takes command responsibility over critical incidents affecting the facility and on-duty staff.
● Operates the computer aided dispatch RIMS system.
● Coordinates system maintenance issues and repairs.
● Monitors computer software and updates computer aided dispatch ( CAD ) files as necessary.
● Supervises maintenance of records and files necessary to the dispatch function.
● Monitors and controls expenditures.
● Prepares cost estimates for budget recommendations.
● Submits justifications for dispatch/communication services.
● Prepares analytical and statistical reports on operations and activities.
● Reviews, investigates, and documents internal and external complaints.
● Attends and participates in professional group meetings.
● Performs related duties as assigned.
Additional Information Work Year 12 month Work Schedule
10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Total Hrs per Week/Day 40 hours per week Special Requirements
Successfully complete the POST certified Public Safety Dispatchers Basic course as set forth in POST Administration Manual ( PAM ) section D-1-5 before or within 12 months after the date of hire or possess the Public Safety Dispatcher certificate. Successfully complete the continuing Professional Training requirements set forth in POST regulations 1005(d).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a medical and complete background investigation.
EXPERIENCE : One year of experience in a lead or supervisory position in any field. Three years of experience working as a dispatcher, lead dispatcher or dispatch supervisor in a POST certified agency.
EDUCATION : The equivalent of an Associates degree (60 semester units) from an accredited institution. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the educational requirement.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
Education must be from an accredited institution.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
● Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Physical Demands Salary $6,065.77 per month (Exempt) LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information Plus shift differential.
Posting Date 10/28/2020 Closing Date 11/30/2020 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Beginning date February 1, 2021.
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Quicklink http://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/14692 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and
agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I
certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and
complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize
investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881
(if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all
persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand
that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on
this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or
attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If
you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor
traffic violation you are required to complete the form 'Arrests
Which Led to Convictions for Crime', P-881 (you must disclose
convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section
1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). Please copy and paste the provided URL for
the form -
https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/employees/hr/forms/p-881.pdf - and
attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P.O.S.T. Certificate
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5