Director of Bands
Position: (Director of Bands)
Reports to: (Department Chair)
Status: (FT 10 mo. or 11 mo. TBD)
Director of Bands, Assistant Professor of Music or Instructor (depending on qualifications of candidate)
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 1, 2021
Mars Hill University is a private, four-year liberal arts institution located in the mountains of western North Carolina. Founded in 1856 by Baptist families of the region, it is the oldest institution of higher learning in western North Carolina on its original site. Mars Hill University, an academic community rooted in the Christian faith, challenges and equips students to pursue intellectual, spiritual, and personal growth through an education that is grounded in a rigorous study of the Liberal Arts, connected with the world of work, and committed to character development, to service, and to responsible citizenship in the community, the region, and the world.
1. Conduct and rehearse the Mars Hill University Wind Symphony
2. Coordinate the band program in conjunction with other instrumental faculty
3. Active recruiting in conjunction with other instrumental faculty
4. Teach conducting
5. Supervise instrumental student teachers
6. Teach additional courses in the area of the candidate’s interest and expertise
1. Completed Doctorate, or ABD in Music, Masters minimum
2. Successful teaching experience at the college/university level (preferred)
3. Successful teaching experience in secondary public school instrumental music programs (preferred)
1. Review of complete applications will begin November 15, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
2. To apply, please submit
a. Cover letter naming the position
b. Curriculum vitae
c. Names and contact information for at least three individuals who might knowledgeably endorse your application.
3. Recordings and other supporting materials may be requested by the search committee after initial screening of candidates. Please do not send these materials with your initial application. Candidates can expect requests for these materials in December 2020.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS: For more information concerning benefits offered to MHU employees, see the MHU Benefits Summary on the MHU website.
Review of applicants will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.
To apply, submit a letter naming the position, your resume and any other materials requested.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), MHU provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the organization or would change the essential functions of the job. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be directed to Human Resources (see below).
MHU is committed to hiring faculty and staff who fully support MHU’s mission. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
MHU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university’s financial and physical assets. Therefore, Mars Hill University conducts background checks. Depending on the position applicants may also be required to consent to a credit check as part of the background check process.
In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and reprisal.
To file a complaint with Mars Hill University, contact:
Office of Human Resources
Mars Hill University
Mars Hill, NC 28754
828 689-1256 Fax
To file a complaint of discrimination, write to:
USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410
Washington DC 20250-9410
Or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642
(English Federal- relay) or (800) 845-6136
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.