Research Technician III
The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) is one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health. As one of the three major centers in the United States, the BCM-HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work with cutting edge genomic science. The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking to recruit a Research Technician III to work in the Library Construction group. The candidate should be able to work independently and within a team to process samples in the production pipeline. He/she should be flexible and adapt to the pipeline requirements and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner. Qualified candidates should be good at multi-tasking, problem-solving, and have strong communication skills.
The Library Construction group is responsible for preparation of samples for sequencing across multiple NextGen sequencing platforms. The position would principally involve in sample preparation for next generation sequencing (NGS) across multiple pipelines including DNA QC, construction of DNA and RNA libraries for NGS DNA libraries for Next-Generation sequencing pipelines (Illumina, PacBio and others) and target enrichment (capture) sequencing. His/her essential functions and duties include processing samples with Beckman Robots for lab procedures including library construction, qPCR, hybridization for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS). Work will also include maintenance of instruments such as Covaris Sonicator, Beckman Robots, Fragment Analyzer, documents and preliminary interpretation of test results and basic troubleshooting.
• Work independently and within a team to process samples in the production pipeline, as well as work on R&D projects including protocol development and optimization.
• Perform laboratory research projects and production tasks.
• Update LIMS, sample tracking and summarize data in an appropriate format and report to the team leader.
• Troubleshoot problematic results.
• Perform routine laboratory equipment maintenance, reagent tracking and validation, reagent ordering and log records as required.
• Oversee the maintenance of lab equipment and environment.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field may be considered in lieu of required experience.
- Qualified candidates should have strong molecular biology
experience, good organizational and communication skills and be a
- Expertise in one or more of the following molecular biology
areas is essential: DNA and RNA manipulations such as purification
and qualification, PCR, qPCR and restriction enzyme
- Prior experience in Next Generation sequencing library
construction, qPCR, Illumina arrays and automated liquid
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston