The Institute of Cognitive Science is encouraging applications for two Grant Managers to provide pre- and post- award support which includes financial management and a wide variety of administrative duties to provide support for a portfolio of Principle Investigators at ICS- CU Boulder. Responsibilities will include grant and contract management using GAAP approved accounting practices; CU Management Tools for procurement, travel, expense reimbursement and human resources for duties related to the life of a grant; submission through close out. This position will join a strong, fully integrated financial and administrative team supporting the work of the Institute of Cognitive Science. This position will work independently managing the portfolio of multiple Principle Investigators of the Institute within the administrative and financial best practices of the ICS team. This position reviews, analyzes, and interprets financial data using a variety of reporting systems to use in their role as advisor to PIs.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The mission of the Institute of Cognitive Science (ICS) at CU-Boulder is to understand and enhance human cognition, learning, and development through the creation of interdisciplinary partnerships. ICS fosters rich scientific interchange across researchers from a broad range of fields including Artificial Intelligence, Linguistics, Psychology, Neuroscience, Computer Science, Philosophy, and Education. https://www.colorado.edu/ics/
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Pre-Award Proposal Management
Serve as a facilitator and source for pre-award sponsored programs administration. Tasks to include:
- Work cooperatively with Principal Investigators to facilitate efforts between the Office of Contract and Grants and PI for the successful submission of grants to Federal, State, University, and Private funding sources.
- Provide support during the budget development preparation process, supervising for changes.
- Supervise entries in Info Ed for new and existing award funding and advise investigator/PI about potential issues.
- Work with individuals at all levels in the organization to ensure the successful integration of all grant application components and full compliance with all University policies and funding agency requirements.
Possess knowledge necessary to serve as an administrator of sponsored research programs.
- Serve as a primary resource to portfolio PIs and grant teams to answer questions about fund management and offer procedural and regulatory advisement in alignment with sponsor, Federal, State, University, and Institute requirements to ensure compliance.
- Verify available funds for purchases, review invoices from vendors, and submits for payment.
- Counsel grant team on the appropriateness of purchases requested. Proficient in purchasing methods: (CU MarketPlace, P-Card, Travel planning and expenditures, reimbursements, etc.) meeting Institute, University, State, and Federal Policies.
- Ensure all documentation is complete, accurate, and processed for purchases made using University funds.
- Process documentation for independent service providers: SOW, PO, PV, SPO, Sole Source Documentation; as well as petty cash and gift card programs.
- Advise PI regarding the financial status of their grant budgets.
- Manage and maintain complete files; correspondence and supporting documentation for each transaction.
- Develop solutions to sophisticated financial issues as they occur for the benefit of the PIs’ grant projects
- Support the Awards close-out process.
- Manage portfolio for fiscal year-end accounting as guided by the ICS Financial Manager.
- Annual and Final Reporting: Works with PI, OCG, and ICS Finance Office as needed to assist in reporting requirements.
Primary personnel liaison for PI Portfolio: Research Associates, Professional Research Assistants, Graduate Students, Temporary Researchers, and Student Hourly employees within the assigned grant portfolio.
- Off-Line hiring-related actions for all employee groups (student, temp, graduate student, research faculty, research professors). Includes working with Avature (Boulder campus applicant tracking system). PI shares hiring intentions with Grant Manager. Grant Manager captures all needed information, completes any needed offer letters/addendums, and feeds complete hiring/job change requests to the Finance office for HCM processing.
- Coordinate onboarding of research faculty for the lab.
- Access the HCM personnel system to obtain useful information to provide advice about such things as employee training status, contact information, POI status, job list for non-ICS employees, etc.
Other duties as assigned including the expectation to participate in training in the best business practices, Institute, University and State regulations, and all systems needed to be successful.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated salary range for this position is $55,000.00-$70,000.00 commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Adaptable. Be Collaborative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, finance, project management, or a related field.
- At least three years of dynamically responsible experience in accounting, financial management, or business administration.
- At least one year of experience with the application of internal accounting control principles, as well as generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
What You Will Need
- Planning, problem-solving, and organization skills.
- Proficient in Google Drive products, as well as project organizational tools such as Asana
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including written and verbal, and ability to work in an inclusive and diverse environment.
- Outstanding customer service skills with the ability to communicate efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and initiate, advise, coordinate, oversee, and complete various projects.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel (budget reporting and analysis), PowerPoint).
What We Would Like You To Have
- Federal grant experience supporting research faculty.
- Knowledge of sponsored project processes.
- Knowledge and experience with administrative, budgetary, fiscal principles, and practices in a higher education setting, including budgeting and fund accounting.
- Experience with CU Boulder systems or similar systems (PeopleSoft, Cognos Reporting, CU-SIS, DocuSign, Marketplace, InfoEd, etc.).
- Possess a Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certification or be willing to pursue this after being hired.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter (If applicable – please detail your federal grant experience supporting research faculty and any previous CU Systems you have worked with).
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by Tuesday, November 10th for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder