BioFrontiers Institute HPC System/Software Administrator
The HPC System/Software Administrator will be a key member of the BioFrontiers IT team, passionate about providing technical assistance, software management, day to day operation, and problem-solving on BioFrontiers computing and software resources.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At the University of Colorado BioFrontiers Institute, researchers from the life sciences, physical sciences, computer science and engineering are working together to uncover new knowledge at the frontiers of science and working with industry to transform their discoveries into new tools. The BioFrontiers Institute is uniquely defined both by our excellent faculty, research, and leadership and by the scientific and geographical ecosystem that empowers our work. BioFrontiers has a unique “frontier” culture that allows our researchers to explore new areas of bioscience by employing the resources and talents across the Institute and the university system. The Institute integrates faculty members from eleven academic departments, allowing them to work across disciplines. BioFrontiers drives innovation without boundaries.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Diagnose, seek, and implement solutions for the BioFrontiers storage resources and computational clusters.
- May include hardware repairs, operating system configuration, system software updates, and procedure automation. Assist with network hardware and network service maintenance and configuration. Respond to end-user queries.
Install, update, test, document, and maintain open-source and commercial software packages used by supported researchers.
- Maintain environment modules.
- Acquire and maintain licenses for commercial software.
Assist end-users with: usage of centrally-maintained software and libraries; and configure, compile, install, debug, and optimize their own software.
Proactive daily monitoring and health checks of the computing and storage infrastructure. Use an extension of existing Nagios/Zabbix/Icinga infrastructure, and development of additional monitoring scripts as required.
Maintain and/detail the infrastructure.
Train storage and computational users on existing BioFrontiers systems and efforts.This will consist of individual training, conducting training courses, and participation in workshops.
What You Should Know
This position carries with it a general expectation to respond to critical issues and incidents that arise outside of normal business hours within a reasonable time frame, as set forth by the position's supervisor. This expectation is consistent with commitments BioFrontiers has made with customers that many of its services will have 24/7 “best effort” coverage.
What We Can Offer
Salary for this position will be market-based, competitive and commensurate with how your background and experience aligns with the requirements and responsibilities of the position.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Adaptable. Be Proactive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Natural Sciences, or related field. A combination of education and relevant experience as described below may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge of and 4 years of production experience in of the following:
- Compiling, installing, and/or developing scientific or engineering software in a Linux environment.
- Building, configuring and coordinating Linux or Unix computer systems.
- Diagnosing system and application software problems.
- Experience programming in C, C++, or Fortran.
- Experience scripting in Bash, Python, or Go.
- Familiarity with version control systems (e.g., Git or Subversion) and GitLab.
- Familiarity with configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Salt).
- Experience with Linux network filesystems, particularly NFS.
- Knowledge of or experience in networking systems and software including DNS, LDAP, and TCP/IP.
What You Will Need
- Outstanding ability to work effectively both within a team and also independently, as circumstances warrant.
- Exceptional ability to communicate with end-users via an electronic ticketing system, by phone, or in person.
- Proficiency with Video-conferencing solutions to assist in everyday tasks including technical support.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Demonstrable experience in system and related network administration of complex computer systems, specifically Linux systems and preferably Linux clusters.
- Proven experience in end-user support.
- Proven experience with software building and configuration tools (e.g., makefiles, autoconf, or environment modules).
- Familiarity with parallel programming (e.g. OpenMP, MPI).
- Administrative experience with ZFS and ZFS native replication tools.
- Familiarity with ticket tracking systems.
- Administrative experience with parallel filesystems, especially BeeGFS.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through with assignments and commitments in a timely and professional manner.
- Experience working in an environment with rapidly changing job priorities.
- Administrative experience with Slurm workload manager
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by Sunday, December 6, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder