Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F57680 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Assistant Professor Working Title Assistant Professor School/Unit College of Humanities and Sciences Department Kinesiology And Health Sciences Number of Months 9 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the department is to lead the state and nation in physical activity and health sciences education and research by providing a rich and diverse undergraduate and graduate curriculum and significant scholarship which draws from the health and exercise sciences, life sciences, and social sciences; and to contribute to the enhancement of quality of life for our surrounding, national and global communities.
Goal 1: Maintain academic and programmatic excellence by enhancing the undergraduate and graduate programs to more effectively meet the broad career opportunities for students.
Goal 2: Increase the quality and quantity of scholarship.
Goal 3: Increase the number of internal and external funding initiatives to advance the mission of the Department.
Goal 4: Increase engagement in existing and emerging initiatives and collaborative opportunities.
Goal 5: Improve recruitment and retention strategies in our undergraduate and graduate programs.
Goal 6: Improve the physical work environment including access to superior technology to advance teaching, research, and service initiatives.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The chief purpose of this position is to support our mission in regards to graduate research, instruction, and advising.
1. Teaching – The faculty member hired for this position will teach graduate and undergraduate level courses in the area of clinical exercise physiology and research methods, along with providing support to the program’s core curriculum, and advise graduate students in the academic requirements and policies for students pursuing a M.S. in Health and Movement Science and/or Ph.D. in Rehabilitation and Movement Science in the Exercise Physiology track.
2. Research – The faculty member should have a research agenda that leverages our Exercise Physiology Research Laboratory and complements our current laboratory efforts related to integrative physiology, highlighted by a specific focus on kidney, liver, and cardiovascular disease, with applications across the lifespan. There are numerous opportunities for collaboration both within the department and across the College of Humanities and Sciences and the University. The VCU Health Systems provide outstanding access to clinical populations across the lifespan.
3. Service – Meet service expectations of the department, school, university, community and profession.
Doctoral degree in Exercise Physiology with Postdoctoral training. Primary teaching experience in higher education at the graduate and undergraduate level. Experience mentoring graduate students in a research setting. In addition, we are seeking candidates who have demonstrated excellence, originality and productivity in research. The faculty member will be required to have an established research agenda, a clear potential for external funding, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the department. Faculty member must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
Experience working with clinical populations, specifically in regards to liver, kidney, and cardiovascular disease.
Date Posted 10/27/2020 Open Until Filled No Application Deadline Date 11/30/2020 Proposed Hire Date 01/10/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
In addition, please submit cover letter with contact information, a curriculum vita, research statement that includes research accomplishments and future research direction, up to 3 representative publications, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three references to www.vcujobs.com. Candidates must agree to current and prior employers being contacted, if they are among a small group of finalists. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Posted Salary Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101336 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this job?
(Open Ended Question)
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond