Administrative Assistant - K
Administrative Assistant - K
Department: Anthropology Department
Duration of Position: Academic year / Part time
Work Schedule: 20 hours/week; 42 weeks/year
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 10/20/2020
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS003P
Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative and operational support to the Department of Anthropology, supporting the department chair, faculty, staff, students, and visitors with administrative functions.
- Update and maintain departmental sites, catalogue(s), files,
course changes and schedule and bulletin board.
- Prepare master course schedule and prepare Curriculog requests
for all new courses.
- Enter class data into new Campus Planning Interface.
- Circulate major and correlate planning forms. Confirm with DOS
completion of required units for seniors. This includes GPA review
- Set up and maintain records. Assist in collecting data and
prepare reports as needed. This includes majors' schedules and
completion of units.
- Proctor self-study and make-up exams as needed.
- Arrange department meetings and take minutes at meetings.
Request rooms on campus for review sessions and events. Help plan
end of year picnic and graduation reception. Arrange catering if
- Prepare classroom requests, process book order and film
requests. Reserve and pick up from library films for
- Assist Arch/Bio faculty to manage the labs.
- Arrange for card access and/or key permission as
- Make arrangements for class trips and assist in travel for
department as needed.
- Assist with recruitment by corresponding with applicants or
research assistants and making copies of applicant materials.
Arrange travel if needed and provide welcome packets.
- Supervise student workers and update student job posting with
student employment as needed.
- Order departmental office supplies, maintain printer and
Blodgett Hall copiers. Call for service when needed. Reconcile
- Review departmental budgets and process or assist with requests
for reimbursements, transfers, new faculty and new vendors. Oversee
departmental endowed fund budgets.
- Assist with publicity and distributing posters. This includes
department events and field/school work opportunities.
- Direct questions to appropriate faculty from the public and
respond to emails sent to general departmental email.
- Work with other departments as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position is part-time, 20 hours/week for the academic year (42 weeks), and is eligible for college staff benefits.
- Two to four years administrative support experience and/or
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple competing
priorities while maintaining attention to detail and exercising
- Must exercise discretion and maintain
- Maintain a professional problem-solving demeanor during
sometimes stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and with other departments on
- Strong computer skills are required including proficiency with
both Mac and PC platform environments, Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Excel, Google’s suite of tools (gmail, calendar, drive, docs,
etc.), Workday (or comparable database systems), and a variety of
email and internet browsers. Must be open to learning new software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and telephone
manner are essential.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse community of students, faculty, staff and visitors.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1611.