Term Assistant Professor, Geology
Term Assistant Professor, Geology
The George Mason University, Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Earth Sciences in the College of Science seeks applications for a full-time, term Assistant Professor of Geology. The incumbent will begin in August 2021 and the position is for one academic year with the possibility of re-appointment. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position includes teaching responsibilities for lecture and laboratory courses within the Geology program. Teaching will be at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including introductory geology, historical geology, and other areas of expertise. The teaching load is 4:4. Service activities within the department and the College of Science are also expected. We encourage the successful candidate to perform research in their area of expertise, and to forge research ties with other parts of the George Mason community, the U.S. Geological Survey, Carnegie Institute of Science, and the Smithsonian Institution.
- Completion of a Ph.D. in earth science, geology, or a related field prior to the first day of the appointment and share the department’s commitment to interdisciplinary education;
- Experience in teaching lecture and laboratory courses at introductory and upper level for undergraduate and graduate students;
- The ability to communicate scientific knowledge to a range of stakeholders;
- The ability to collaborate with other natural scientists and
social scientists in teaching and outreach.
- Candidates with interest in remote learning, interdisciplinary collaborations, undergraduate research, and field-based research are particularly desirable.
About the Department:
The Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Earth Sciences Department offers undergraduate degrees in Geology, Atmospheric Sciences and Earth Science, M.S. in Climate Science and Earth Systems Science, and Ph.D. in Climate Dynamics. Our faculty includes geologists, atmospheric scientists, paleontologists, and oceanographers.
- For more information about the department visit us on the web at https://cos.gmu.edu/aoes/.
- For more information about the College of Science, go
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For consideration, applicants must apply online at https://jobs.gmu.edu for position F6347Z. Candidates should complete the online application and upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research and teaching interests, examples of published work as Other doc, teaching evaluations as Other doc (if available), and contact information (with email addresses) of three professional references. Review of applications will begin on December 15, 2020. George Mason University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage women and minority candidates to apply.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Geology & Earth Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Other Science & Technology Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax