Financial Aid Counselor
Concordia University Chicago (CUC) invites applications for the full-time position of Financial Aid Counselor. This position is responsible for receiving, evaluating, and verifying student data to award federal, state, institutional, and outside financial aid funds. Student eligibility is determined in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, policies and procedures. Financial Aid Counselors are responsible for counseling students on matters of financial aid eligibility, and for providing necessary information regarding student financial assistance programs to various constituencies. This position is located in River Forest, IL and reports to the Director of Financial Aid.
- Provide assistance to the Director for the operation of a comprehensive financial aid program
- Counsel students regarding their aid eligibility, academic progress, and student accounts
- Attend financial aid workshops and remain current on Federal and State regulations
- Perform file review, verification and awarding of all financial aid funds
- Assist students with the financial aid application process
- Interpret and explain financial aid packages and processes to students, faculty and staff members
- Conduct financial aid presentations
- Certify and process applications for all educational loan programs
- Assist with yearly audit functions
- Assist with gathering data for institutional and governmental reports
- Serve as a financial aid resource person to the Graduate Admission Office
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid
- Customer service oriented
- Strong decision making abilities
- High degree of organizational ability
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse communities on and off campus
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, parents, faculty, staff, the public and representatives of lending institutions
- Knowledge of Banner or similar financial aid technologies preferred
- Experience with Excel, Word and report writing software, such as Access
Minimum Experience Required:
- Financial aid, student loan or student services experience preferred
- Understanding and appreciation of Lutheran higher education
- Possess a thorough understanding of the role of financial aid programs within a private college environment
- Exhibit exceptional interpersonal skills and responsiveness to students
Bachelor's degree required
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting range is dependent upon individual qualifications and experience. Concordia health, disability and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees and their eligible dependents. Tuition benefits may also be available for employees and their qualified dependents.
Interested individuals should include a cover letter, resume and references with their online application.
Concordia does not discriminate in the employment of individuals on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, sex or age. As an institution of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, however, and to the extent allowed by law, Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based upon religious affiliation.
Concordia University Chicago does not generally sponsor for employment visas except for positions that oversee, teach or support our international programs.
About Concordia University Chicago:
Concordia University Chicago is a liberal arts-based Christian university founded in the Lutheran tradition. Through its College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, College of Graduate Studies, and College of Innovative and Professional Programs, Concordia-Chicago offers more than 160 areas of study in small classes taught by professors who are passionate about teaching and student success. All undergraduate and graduate degrees are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Concordia University Chicago has been recognized as a College of Distinction since 2010, and in 2013 was named to the U.S. President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for the fifth time. For the sixth consecutive year, combined undergraduate and graduate enrollment has exceeded more than 5,000 students. Concordia University Chicago is located in River Forest, 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. Learn more at CUChicago.edu.
As a distinctive, comprehensive university of The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, centered in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and based in the liberal arts, Concordia University Chicago equips men and women to serve and lead with integrity, creativity, competence and compassion in a diverse, interconnected and increasingly urbanized church and world.