Assistant Professor in Exercise Science
PITTSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY
College of Education
Department of Health, Human Performance, and Recreation
Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
The Department of Health, Human Performance, and Recreation (HHPR) at Pittsburg State University is accepting applications for an Assistant Professor of Exercise Science.
Institutional and Department Description:
Pittsburg State University is an accredited, comprehensive, state-supported institution in southeastern Kansas, enrolling approximately 7,000 students annually. The institution has Colleges in the fields of Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, and Technology. For more information, see: http://www.pittstate.edu.
The Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation (HHPR) provides both undergraduate and graduate programs for students from the four-state region of southeast Kansas, and portions of Missouri, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. The department has over 400 majors, offers undergraduate degrees in Recreation, Physical Education, and Exercise Science, a graduate degree in HHPR, and has eleven full-time faculty members.
For more information, see the Applied Physiology Laboratory web page at: https://www.pittstate.edu/education/hhpr/applied-physiology-lab.html
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
The Department of Health, Human Performance, and Recreation at Pittsburg State University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position. Applicants are required to have a Ph.D. in Exercise Science/Physiology or closely related field (ABD considered). Candidates should have a strong commitment to teaching along with the ability and desire to develop a scholarly research program that actively involves graduate and undergraduate students. Teaching responsibilities will include courses required for the B.S. in Exercise Science, graduate courses, with the possibility of others within the Department. In addition, there will be shared supervision of student internships and student research projects. Additional expectations include advising students, active involvement in professional organizations, service to the university, college and community, and commitment to student success. This position is contingent upon funding.
- PhD in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Kinesiology (or a related field); candidates with ABD status will be considered if they complete their degree by August 1, 2021.
- Experience in and demonstrated effectiveness in teaching at the collegiate level.
- Evidence and commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching and advising.
- Expertise and/or experience teaching in one or more of the following areas: exercise physiology, cardiovascular physiology, clinical physiology, or health promotion.
- The ability to work collaboratively across disciplines (e.g., research, curricular development, service)
- Willingness to develop face-to-face and online courses to add to the established course curriculum
- Ability to establish an effective research agenda
- Demonstrate the ability to mentor undergraduate and graduate research projects
- ACSM or NSCA certifications are preferred but not required
Position Start Date: August 8, 2021
For a full description and to apply online visit:
Electronic submission only. Interested and qualified applicants should upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, research statement, teaching statement, and names and contact information of three references. Applications received by November 26, 2020, will be given first consideration. Position is open until filled. A criminal background check will be required for employment. For questions concerning the application process, please contact Dr. Allison Barry, Ph.D., Chair of Search Committee. Pittsburg State University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.