Post-Doctoral Fellow of Environmental Sciences
The Department of Physical Sciences a at Dixie State University in St. George, UT invites applications for a full-time, two-year position as Post-Doctoral Teaching Fellow of Environmental Sciences for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years. This position is well-suited for a scientist who wishes to prepare for a career of teaching at a primarily undergraduate institution that emphasizes excellence in teaching and research.
The Physical Sciences department encompasses courses in Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geography, and Geology. More information about the department and its associated programs and faculty can be found online at https://science.dixie.edu/ .
- Teach 30 credits of lower- and upper-division lecture and laboratory courses each academic year, primarily in Environmental or Energy Sciences. Opportunities for curriculum development are also available.
- Attend department, division, and college faculty meetings. Work with other faculty in program management. Adhere to university policies.
- Involve undergraduate students in research and experiential-learning projects in applicant’s area of expertise, as time permits.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science or closely related discipline from an accredited college of university required. Preference will be given to those applicants who were recently awarded (within the last two years), or are about to earn, a Ph.D. in Environmental Science. ABD may be considered if degree is awarded prior to August 2021.
- Background in Environmental Science with interests in sustainable practices or policy preferred.
- Evidence of potential for successful teaching at the college level.
- Commitment to assisting with and/or coordinating field courses that involve 4-10 day trips to off-campus locations.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work with and assist part-time laboratory instructors.
- An eagerness to engage with colleagues, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience for our students.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) non-tenure-track faculty position, with a two-year contract. Faculty service begins August 2021, with pay & benefits starting July 1, 2021. Annual salary of $42,000 - $45,000, depending on qualifications & experience, with additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included – see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Benefits Summary” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins January 11, 2021 ;position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, research plans involving undergraduate students (1-2 pages), contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (1-2 pages about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George