Associate Director of The Learning Center and The Writing Center
Purpose: The Associate Director is responsible for the administration of The Learning Center, Writing Center, and Peer Tutor programs and services. This is an eleven-month position. This position is benefits-eligible, including paid time off.
- Coordinate The Learning Center, Writing Center, and Peer Tutor programs and services.
- Create and implement a year-round promotion plan for The Learning Center, the Writing Center, and Peer Tutoring to market programs and services to students in all majors through various campus events and presentations.
- Create and implement a year-round promotion plan for The Learning Center, the Writing Center, and Peer Tutoring to market programs and services to faculty and to encourage faculty to make formal and informal referrals.
- Identify factors that will contribute to the future success of The Learning Center, Writing Center, and Peer Tutoring.
- Serve as Writing Consultant in individual sessions with students, faculty, or staff, 12 + hours per week.
- Manage the schedule of The Learning Center, Writing Center, and the consultants.
- Support increased utilization of all services offered in The Learning Center.
- Explore different, innovative, and online methods of providing the programs and services of The Learning Center and the Writing Center to increase interest and utilization by both faculty and students.
- Recruit, interview, hire, train, and annually evaluate student writing consultants and math and science tutors for both onsite and online tutoring.
- Manage the Peer Tutoring program. Recruit, train, supervise, and assign peer tutors.
- Collect data on Peer Tutor usage and relate the data to student course outcomes.
- Coordinate the writing and printing of publications to promote the Centers.
- Design and implement ongoing program assessment for The Learning Center and the Writing Center.
- Ensure and monitor appropriate documentation of student sessions writing consultants, and math, and science tutors to ensure continuity and record of progress.
- Provide the Director of The Learning Center, Disability Services, and Project EXCEL with updated Center usage statistics at midterm and at the conclusion of the semester.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Academic Advising Resource Center and the retention team to implement services designed to increase retention.
- Plan and coordinate student study groups as well as support Supplemental Instruction sessions in various departments.
- Establish and maintain relationships with faculty to determine specific program or course needs related to tutoring.
- Contribute to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of The Learning Center and the Writing Center; helping others in the department where needed.
- Design, implement and manage online tutoring services.
- Cochair the annual campus-wide Celebration of Teaching and Learning.
- Serve as backup for administering testing services to students in The Learning Center.
- Teach a GRE preparation course for the verbal section.
Primary Contacts: Learning Center Director, Learning Center Administrative Assistant, English Department chair, Math Chair, Chemistry Chair, Biology Chair, Associate Provost, students, faculty, writing consultants, student tutors, Retention Team members, and other members of the University Community. Supervision Exercised: Student Writing Consultants, Math & Science Assistants, and Peer Tutors Supervision Received: Reports to The Director of The Learning Center, Disability Services, and Project EXCEL.
Education: Master’s degree required in a relevant field, English preferred. Experience: Related work experience in teaching and the coordination of tutoring services.
A demonstrated ability and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Specialized Training: Qualified to teach the Analytical Writing portion of a GRE prep course. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs. Experience using a Database use and using data for reporting on program goals.
Or any combination of education, experience, or training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Exhibit a “student/customer first” orientation in providing exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions; demonstrate versatility in handling people and situations. Must have a demonstrated ability and commitment to diversity, equality, and inclusion.
Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, and students' and faculty needs and expectations; anticipate and identify students' needs. Teamwork: Communicate, cooperate, and collaborate with others to achieve common Writing Center, Learning Center, or University goals.
Willingly assist in various responsibilities as appropriate within the Department, Division, and other areas of the University during high service demand times. Communication: Develop and nurture an effective, productive, and respectful rapport and working relationship with students, faculty, and co-workers, maintaining an appropriate level of professionalism.
Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others. Accuracy: Maintain a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights or omissions. Initiative: Take immediate and independent action when necessary assuming initiative for creative problem solving
Demonstrate creativity and high energy
Accomplish tasks with follow through to completion
Technical: Must possess an aptitude for technological development and its implications for appropriate automation of office; proficient in Microsoft Office
Work Environment, Physical Demands: Multiple service hours; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with service interruptions; extensive customer contact; strict confidentiality; detailed work; to work on weekends occasionally; able to work weekends on occasion; able to travel locally and out of the region on occasion with some overnights.
To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via Paycom.
A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please click here to review the University's Non-Discrimination Policy.
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer