University Code 10221 University Title Instructional Design Specialist 1 University Job Family Academic & Faculty Affairs ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Instructional Designer Position Number 590140 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department ALT Lab Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Informed by a knowledge of pedagogical best practices, Instructional Designers collaborate with faculty colleagues to develop high quality online, blended, and technology-enhanced courses. These collaborations may be individual consultations or larger programmatic efforts that work with groups of faculty members.
These engagements support the design or redesign of course components such as:
- integration and use of learning technologies
- design of the online course environment
- creation of learning objects, activities, and course content
Instructional Designers contribute to the overall culture of excellence in teaching and learning at VCU through:
- Collaborating with other units on campus that support online courses and programs or the utilization of learning technologies to ensure instructors are connected with appropriate services
- Collaborating with ALT Lab and VCU Online staff to offer a comprehensive catalog of services and programs to meet the needs of instructors and academic units
- Other duties as assigned
Instructional Designers are supported in seeking the professional development necessary to maintain a current understanding of best practices and trends in teaching online or with technology. Instructional Designers are encouraged to undergo training to develop new competencies and areas of expertise or to contribute to the scholarship of teaching and learning through publications and presentations.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- An M.A. or M.S, or education and relevant experience that equates to an advanced degree, is required. An advanced degree in a discipline such as Instructional Design, Learning Technologies, Curriculum and Instruction, Adult Learning, Education or a related field is preferred.
- Experience designing courses for online or blended delivery
- Demonstrated experience with a learning management system and a range of learning technologies
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written and teaming skills.
- Proven ability to work as a contributing and collegial member of a team, and to communicate proactively within the team environment.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a member of the VCU community.
- Ability to self-monitor and work independently with minimal supervision
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Experience teaching in any setting.
- Experience designing courses for online or blended delivery in a college or university setting
- Online teaching experience
- Experience using Canvas and/or Wordpress in educational settings
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range 40,000-60,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F, 8:30-4:30 Job Open Date 10/26/2020 Posting will close on or before 11/01/2020 Open Until Filled No Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101320 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Where did you hear about this position?
- VCU Website
- Professional Diversity Network
- Richmond SHRM
- If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have a Masters degree?
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Criminal Justice & Criminology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond