Compensation Analyst, Human Resource Services
Human Resource Services (HRS) at the University of Montana invites applications for a Compensation Analyst (Personnel Associate II) to join their team. HRS partners with the University of Montana (UM) community and affiliated campuses to provide solutions and services to support the success of the UM mission.
As the Compensation Analyst, you will directly assist the Compensation Manager in a variety of compensation, classification, performance management and data management duties and responsibilities as you move through the learning process. You will learn to review, create and/or reconcile a variety of paperwork, data, and requests. Additionally, you will learn all areas of HRS, and you will engage in HRS team related work activities. In this position, you will also provide department support in other HRS areas as necessary. As a member of the HRS team, you will become a member of the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR). This membership provides you resources to access for your role as the Compensation Specialist and training and development opportunities. UM also offers an environment rich with professional development and training opportunities through our Office of Organizational Learning and Development.
Our team is seeking an individual with exceptional customer service skills and commitment; ability to create an approachable atmosphere and develop professional relationships with people quickly; comfortable with ambiguity; ability to understand, interpret, and reconcile data; strong math skills; and creative problem solving skills.
Duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Conducting classification and compensation reviews
- Collaborating with managers implementing Staff Compensation components and work proactively to resolve basic compensation and classification issues
- Conducting survey analysis and applying appropriate methodologies
- Providing accurate and timely information in a variety of forms for all four campus
- Provides input in the design, development, and implementation of process and procedural changes for staff compensation
- Conducting research on compensation, performance review, HR topics and best practices
- Providing guidance regarding compensation compliance, performance reviews, and job analysis
- Accurate and timely completion of documentation and reports, while ensuring data integrity and file maintenance
- Working with classified staff members to address compensation and classification related inquires, and develop pathways for potential career advancement
- Performing position audit functions to determine accurate job classification
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of University, Board of Regents, state and federal regulations, policies, and procedures as well as a multitude of collective bargaining agreements regarding compensation and performance. It is also expected you will develop an understanding of UM payroll and recruitment processes and procedures; methods of calculation for compensation; and the ability to ensure accurate and equitable comparisons and evaluations. Intermediate knowledge of Banner, a high level of conflict resolution, and negotiation skills are also expected to be developed.
- Intermediate to advanced experience in the operation of personal computers and a variety of software programs, including Microsoft Office Suite, with the ability to learn new software
- Ability to effectively use standard office equipment, including copier, fax, computer, and printers
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to effectively write professional memos, letters, emails, documents, and reports
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships
- Ability to exercise highly developed interpersonal communication skills in either one-on-one or group settings
- Ability to explain relevant policies and rules with diplomacy and deliver negative information with tact
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service, while explaining complex information in a logical and clear way
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality while working with high volumes of proprietary information
- Organizational, multi-tasking, decision-making, and time management skills to prioritize workloads
- Detail-oriented to achieve the highest level of accuracy possible at all times
- Ability to create intermediate spreadsheets and basic databases to use information for tracking and analysis
- Must be able to address ambiguous situations and information in a positive, open, and thoughtful way
- Ability to write a wide variety of documents and correspondence, and to format and generate reports
- Expert analytical, problem-solving, and reasoning skills
- Ability to perform math calculations, intermediate analysis, and comparison duties
- Must be willing and able to be flexible and creative when consulting with campus partners
Minimum Required Experience
- High school diploma and two (2) years of professional experience in a related position; or any combination of experience and education to successfully perform the duties.
- Professional experience in classification/compensation
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
About the Human Resource Services and UM
The Human Resource Services team partners with the University of Montana (UM) administration, faculty, staff, and managers and affiliated campuses (UM Western, Montana Technological University, and Helena College) by providing solutions and services to support the success of the UM mission.
The mission of the University of Montana is to transform lives by providing a high-quality and accessible education and by generating world-class research and creative scholarship in an exceptional place. We integrate the liberal arts and sciences into undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies to shape global citizens who are creative and agile learners committed to expanding the boundaries of knowledge and to building and sustaining diverse communities.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with approximately 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Compensation Analyst ( Personnel Associate II)
Position Number: 013360
Department: Human Resource Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $15.16/hr – 17.40/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: None
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New …;Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday, November 9, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular