Accounts Payable Specialist, Business Services
Business Services at the University of Montana invites applications for an Accounts Payable Specialist (Accounting Associate III) to join their team. The employee selected for this position must be able to examine, analyze, and interpret accounting records and invoice for the purpose of completing transactions, giving guidance and preparing statements, and reports. This employee must be able to gather advanced, general, and in some areas, specialized knowledge and understanding of University, State, and federal regulations, policies, and procedures necessary for examining, analyzing and auditing all transactions for compliance and to help ensure there are no duplications, violations or fraud.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Apply critical thinking and research of all applicable rules (including state procurement) and regulations to audit and approve Grizmart non-purchase order requests, invoices and travel entries in a timely matter with attention to detail for compliance
- Customer Services – Resolve issues of unallowable expenses with departmental staff using excellent customer service skills, diplomacy and tact., Assist vendors with inquiries regarding payments through research and resolving issues
- First point of contact for guidance and training for departmental staff and affiliate campuses staff regarding accounts payable and travel
- Proper application of the University chart of accounts for expenses
- Process wire transfers both domestic and foreign
- Understanding of IRS rules relevant to Form 1099 Reporting
- Understanding of IRS Form 1042 rules and their application for foreign vendor payments withholdings
- Conduct research: produce accurate records and reports on department accounts
- Create and enter proper accounting Journal Vouchers
- Must be able to follow all policies, procedures and processes as well as update and maintain all documentation relative to this position
- Lease Maintenance: Maintain files & spreadsheets and review for accuracy
- Assist in the following areas:
- Lease maintenance
- Disbursement of American Express direct deposits
- Paymentworks vendor setup
- GrizMart errors and import validation
- Invoice scanning, uploading, processing
- Procard research, reconciling, assistance and administration
- Bad address research and update
- Research and prepare proper state forms for warrant replacement, submit warrant cancellation requests to Business Services Systems when necessary
- Work purchase order batch close report (FPAEOCD)
- The processing of foreign tax
- Adjustments for student/faculty/staff reimbursements
- Process simultaneous travel documents and forms
- 1099 processes – testing and review
- Concur – electronic procurement card and travel
- Direct Deposit Reviews
This position requires the incumbent, following training, to be proficient in the use of the following systems: Banner Finance, Banner Procurement, and Grizmart (eProcurement system), and Concur (electronic Travel and Procurement Card) AMEX-E-payables. It also requires candidate to develop a working knowledge of: Federal tax regulations, University travel and payment policies, contract laws, privacy laws, policies and procedures on third party contract.
After six months:
- The individual will be able to work independently in Banner, Grizmart, US Bank, and Amex systems
- The individual will be able to do invoice, purchase order, and Procard queries and reconciliations
- The individual will be able to answer payment questions related to checks and check statuses
- The individual will be able to act as a departmental resource
- Knowledge of procurement policies and procedures will be known
- Demonstrate team-building skills
- Very high level of customer service by working proactively, and meeting challenges to enhance services and achieve productive results
- Must be accurate, pay attention to detail with good follow-through skills
- Excellent oral and communication skills including telephone etiquette to communicate in a professional and concise manner
- Handle and diffuse difficult individuals in sometimes stressful and delicate situations
- Understand and adapt to changing processes to meet changing technological environment
- Demonstrated ability to interpret, communicate and maintain compliance with all applicable policies and procedures, as well as create procedural documentation and training materials
- Analyze data information
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and flow charting
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability and skill necessary to work with multiple types of software
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service including problem solving and follow-up
- Good organization skills and basic accounting skills
- Must be able to work in a very high volume and stressful environment and maintain professional composure
- Ability to function at a fast pace and requires excellent multitasking skills, and ability to prioritize to meet deadlines
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and two (2) years of relative professional experience
- Associates degree in Accounting
- Experience with Banner & Jaggaer Procurement software and fund/governmental accounting
- Experience with a complex accounts payable system
- Business Credit Card reconciliations and procedures
About the Business Services department and UM
The mission of Business Services is to provide financial services responsive to the needs of students, staff, administration and faculty of the University of Montana. We accomplish our mission by wholeheartedly supporting the pursuit of academic excellence. We proactively meet challenges, enhance services and achieve productive results. We deliver exceptional customer service to all that require our assistance to successfully reach their educational goals.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Accounts Payable Specialist (Accounting Associate III)
Position Number: NEW
Department: Business Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $14.59/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday , November 9, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular