Executive Assistant to the Athletics Director
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, and with limited supervision, the Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact and provides highly complex administrative office support for the office of the Athletics Director. The Executive Assistant works independently to perform highly complex administrative and analytical functions of a highly sensitive and confidential nature requiring access to a variety of sources of information, including access to management strategies and plans, personnel matters, grievances, progress reports of campus programs and projects, and other strategic, personnel, and labor relations related documentation.
The incumbent serves as a key contact for communication within the division; oversees special projects from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion: maintains a realistic balance among multiple priorities; routinely interface with a wide variety of stakeholders including, student-athletes, coaches, staff, senior administration, alumni, community leaders and potential donors; independently makes decisions and handles issues using discretion and applies knowledge of relevant NCAA Bylaws, CSU collective bargaining agreements, policies, regulations, and procedures; serves as a key contact for communication within the division, across campus offices, with the Chancellor’s Office and external constituents; and provides operational and limited support to the Athletics Director of Human Resources.
The ideal candidate must possess strong oral and written communication skills, in addition to strong computer skills.
- Regularly manage and coordinate sensitive administrative tasks, communications, and records of highly confidential and critical matters, including access to personnel issues, investigations, grievances, disciplinary proceedings, collective bargaining, budgets, human resources, University strategic initiatives/projects, as well as other confidential matters that assists management’s deliberative process as it relates to various constituent groups.
- Act in a confidential capacity to the Athletics Director. Maintain/process confidential and/or sensitive Human Resources and labor relations issues.
- Assists in the preparation of the Athletics Director communication in sensitive matters including personnel issues, grievances, and disciplinary responses.
- Assists in matters pertaining to performance reviews, complaints, disciplinary actions, and other personnel issues.
- Manage and coordinate sensitive administrative tasks associated with personnel issues, University strategic initiatives/projects, and legal counsel and outside constituents/projects.
- Respond to requests on behalf of the Athletics Director.
- Coordinate and expedite the completion of tasks required between the Athletics Director and other campus departments, divisions and the President's Office.
- Prepare, draft and edit correspondence, communications, presentations and other written documents, in addition to preparing digital presentations.
- Perform a wide variety of administrative tasks to relieve the Director of Athletics of routine matters; exercise a very high degree of independent judgment, tact, and discretion in the execution of assigned responsibilities.
- Review and evaluate communications including emails, for urgency and nature of business; determine which communications to handle personally and which to refer to other staff members.
- Follow up with senior administration on behalf of the Athletics Director to ensure deadlines are met.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Adhere to NCAA compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Compose, proofread and edit confidential correspondence of a complex nature (reports, letters, campus wide emails, etc.) on behalf of the Athletics Director. May also initiate correspondence in support of division initiatives.
- Prepare and/or edit and distribute communications on behalf of the Athletics Director
- Manage division wide events (e.g. Athletics staff functions, Athletics Director engagement functions, Athletics Director Hospitality Suite, etc.) from conceptualization through implementation. This includes planning and coordination of logistics and on-site support.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to quickly learn and respond to NCAA rules and regulations.
- Ability to work professionally with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Expert level proficiency in Microsoft Office including word processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint presentations, database management, and HTML formatting, desktop publishing, graphics, Internet and e-mail browser.
- Ability to compose, present and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Working knowledge of general practices associated with higher education sports programs.
- Working knowledge of software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet and database management.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn PeopleSoft.
- Working knowledge of CSU collective bargaining agreements applicable to the Athletic Department.
- Demonstrated organizational, policy interpretation, coordination skills, and ability to organize and plan work and projects, including multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the work group and serve as a liaison for the organizational unit.
- Ability to multi-task, working effectively in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and make independent decisions and exercise sound judgment.
- Knowledge of basic methods and procedures for research and statistical analysis and the ability to apply them.
- Ability to analyze data and make accurate projections using business mathematics and basic statistical techniques.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Must possess strong written communication skills, excellent customer service, public relations skills, and networking skills.
- Experience with event planning.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when required.
- Bachelor’s degree or professional training program specific to the position and directly related work experience, or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Three years of administrative work experience
- Four-year degree
- 2-5 years of progressively responsible professional administrative experience
Classification: Confidential Administrative Support II
Hiring Range: $4,233/month - $9,514/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 22, 2020 through November 5, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third-party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: October 22, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Support Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Human Resources Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose