Supervisor of Building Maintenance - Des Plaines
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision; manage, supervise and perform work at all college campuses involved in maintenance, repair and/or installation of carpentry, construction/remodeling, plumbing, heating, electrical, mechanical, painting, lock and door hardware. Participate in the planning, organizing and scheduling of the projects, including specifications for capital equipment, data for reports, etc.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises, trains and evaluates Maintenance staff, ensures the
safe productive use of equipment utilized in Maintenance and
associate repair work; trains and directs subordinates in the use,
care and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Interprets job assignments to staff within department and
assigns duties to crews of varying sizes and skills, establishes
and adjusts work procedures to meet schedules.
- Requisitions materials and supplies for projects and coordinates the efficient use of workers, resources and equipment.
- Independently plans and coordinates Maintenance projects at multiple sites, analyzes and resolves work problems, and assists workers in solving problems.
- Review and prioritize assigned work orders. Monitors
productivity and work flow of crews under charge. Ensures adherence
to established deadlines and preventive maintenance
- Create preventive maintenance work orders and schedules on new
and existing equipment as required. Plans and coordinates
preventive maintenance work.
- Responds to emergency situations i.e., system failures, water
leak, flood water management.
- Remodel, construct, renovate and renew areas of campus
buildings providing expert knowledge to produce the most efficient
technical results. Assist in the completion of new construction and
- Prepares cost estimates on proposed Maintenance related
- Monitors Maintenance department budgets, approves purchases,
and participates in budget preparation and expense
- Coordinate with contractors in providing contract services and
when needed with the Senior Manager of Campus Facilities and
- Coordinate related work with Supervisor of Grounds, HVAC Chief,
and Housekeeping Manager.
- Identify staff development and training needs and ensure
training is provided. Ensure proper training of safety
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- High school education or equivalent is required.
- Vocational courses including heating, air conditioning,
electrical, plumbing and carpentry are required.
- Journey level of expertise in skilled trade is
- Four years in skilled trade including two years supervisory
experience is required.
- Ability to read blueprints and plan, coordinate, execute
remodeling and renovations.
- Two years budget management experience is required. Monitor
department budget, approve purchases, participate in budget
preparation, and expense control.
- Ability to articulate occupational hazards and safety
precautions involved with the maintenance, repair and operation of
buildings and operating systems.
- Ability to perform all related and necessary functions required
to carry out the characteristic responsibilities and duties of the
position, including, but not limited to, operating basic office
equipment and software, following and disseminating instructions,
and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
with all levels of staff and the general public.
- Ability to perform duties from elevated heights and/or elevations.
Work requires lifting of items weighing up to 50 pounds, carrying, pushing, pulling, and climbing; ability to use both hands, both arms, both legs with the ability to twist, turn, and bend from the neck and torso, ability to see color; moderate to strenuous physical labor for extended periods of time. The job may be performed in hot, dusty, and/or dirty work environments.
Functional supervision received from the Senior Manager of Campus Facilities and Construction. Administrative supervision received from the Director of Facilities.
Functional supervision is exercised over six full-time classified staff and functional supervision over temporary and/or student employees as assigned.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 6:00 am - 2:30 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.