Assistant Professor, English
School of Arts and Humanities
Assistant Professor of English, Jacksonville State University. Full-time, tenure-track position to begin August 2021. Duties: Responsible for teaching African American literature, speech, composition, and literature, according to department practice and policy; conduct scholarly/creative research sufficient for tenure and advancement; engage in appropriate service. Qualifications: Ph.D. in English with a specialization in African American Literature by appointment date is required. Ability to teach composition required. Evidence of good teaching and scholarly potential required. Preference may be given to candidates with a subspecialty in American Literature from the Colonial Period to the present, African American/Black Studies, composition and rhetoric, and/or film studies. Salary contingent upon qualifications, experience, and needs of university.
- Responsible for teaching graduate and undergraduate level courses in African American literature, speech, composition, and literature, according to department practice and policy.
- Responsible for curriculum and program development and professional development activities.
- Develop and implement a program of instruction that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students and is consistent with the university, SACS accreditation, and state study and curriculum guides.
- Assess student’s abilities as related to desired educational goals and objectives, in order to maximize student achievement.
- Serves as mentor for students.
- Manages the behaviors of learners in the classroom and participate in the management of student behavior in other parts of the campus, in order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process.
- Plans and employs a variety of appropriate instructional/learning strategies and activities that are compatible with the physical facility but serve the needs and capabilities of the students.
- Communicate continually with students (either in writing or verbally) in regards to instructional expectations and student progress or lack of progress.
- Responsible for recoding students’ attendance and keep attendance registers, according to JSU policy.
- Actively participate in and work with university personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods, and curriculum.
- Exhibit a commitment and ability to conduct scholarly activities and engage in professional, university, and community service.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the department head.
Additional Required Information:
Please copy and provide the following link to your recommenders or dossier service (such as Interfolio) to upload three (3) letters of recommendation on your behalf.
Letters of Recommendation Upload
Supplemental Questions: None
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- American Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville