Job Posting Title General Counsel Location Los Rios Community College District (District Office) Department Location General Counsel Posting Number AE00380P The Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office complex. The District office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate’s degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under the direction of the Chancellor, the General Counsel provides professional legal counsel to the District and serves as the administrative representative of the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees in areas of law affecting the administration, legislation and related activities of the District.
• Advising the Chancellor and the Board regarding legal issues or potential problems;
• Providing legal analysis and research with respect to legislative matters to inform the Chancellor and campus constituencies of pending challenges and opportunities;
• Rendering legal opinions interpreting statutory law and all District policies and regulations;
• Serving as legal consultant in human resources matters and provides assistance to the District’s negotiating teams in developing contracts with recognized employee organizations;
• Assisting in the development, review, revision and distribution of District policies and regulations;
• Assisting in the development and review of contracts with outside businesses, agencies and individuals;
• Providing legal assistance in the drafting of legal documents, resolutions and other legal and quasi-legal type instruments upon request;
• Identifying, advising, directing and evaluating the work of outside contracted counsel, as well as counsel representing the District’s insurance administrators/carriers;
• Preparing and representing the District at administrative law hearings as directed by the Chancellor;
• Consulting with and advising the administrative staff on legal matters including employee and student grievances and disciplinary matters;
• Attending and providing legal advice at meetings of the Board of Trustees and other meetings as the Chancellor may direct;
• Providing liaison with other governmental entities in the area of legal affairs;
• Attending and serving as the District liaison with respect to legislative matters as determined by the Chancellor;
• Conducting in-service training programs and workshops for staff members regarding legal issues, court decisions and trends as needed; and,
• Performing other duties as assigned by the Chancellor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to absorb, analyze, organize and project information and ideas.
• Ability to maintain an awareness of proposed or adopted local and state regulations as well as emerging educational problems and concepts and an understanding of the implications arising there from.
• Familiarity with the principles and practices of educational and human resources administration, with an emphasis in public sector employment and labor law.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Poise, tact, and ability to work effectively with district and community personnel.
Work Year 12 month Work Schedule Total Hrs per Week/Day Special Requirements
Note: this position requires Financial Disclosure.
1. Have a law degree from a college or university accredited by a regional educational accrediting agency.
2. Have one five years of demonstrated successful experience as an attorney in the practice of law. Legal service in a California community college district or other public school system is desirable.
3. Be licensed to practice law in the State of California.
4. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully and submit:
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Administrative/Executive Application
2. Letter of Interest
3. Employee Request for Transfer Form
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
● Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Physical Demands Salary $178,234 per year (salary listed, based on Step 1) LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information Additional stipend for an earned doctorate from an accredited university.
Posting Date 10/23/2020 Closing Date 10/29/2020 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Full-time, Twelve-month, Classified Management Position
Beginning on or about November 1, 2020
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates selected for an interview may be eligible to apply for partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450. Candidate Travel Reimbursement click here
Administrative positions may be subject to the District’s Conflict of Interest Code, and a statement of economic interest is required within thirty (30) days following appointment to the position. Management/Executive positions are exempt from overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Quicklink http://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/14690 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and
agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I
certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and
complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize
investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881
(if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all
persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand
that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on
this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or
attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If
you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor
traffic violation you are required to complete the form 'Arrests
Which Led to Convictions for Crime', P-881 (you must disclose
convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section
1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). Please copy and paste the provided URL for
the form -
https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/employees/hr/forms/p-881.pdf - and
attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Please indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for
this position. Select the appropriate answer.
- I possess the minimum qualifications for this discipline as listed on the job announcement. (Attach unofficial transcripts from an accredited college/university and/or evidence of job experience.)
- I possess a valid California Community College Credential for this discipline. (Attach a copy of appropriate credential with application.)
- I possess qualifications equivalent to those listed and have attached evidence. (To review Equivalency Process.)
- I have previously been granted equivalency to teach this discipline by the Los Rios Community College District. (Attach the Equivalency Determination Form P-38 and transcripts.)
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
- Letter of Interest
- Employee Request for Transfer Form
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Law & Legal Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Criminal Justice & Criminology Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento