Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
email@example.com or by calling 864-294-2217.
The Housing Custodian staff member has general responsibility for cleaning and maintaining all campus housing and surrounding grounds to provide efficient service, safe and comfortable accommodations and attractive surroundings for the occupants.
Creates an environment in campus housing which contributes to the total development of each individual by completing the following, but not limited to:
- scrubbing, stripping, waxing, mopping, cleaning, dusting, sweeping and/or vacuuming floors and stairs
- cleaning and disinfecting showers, sinks, drains, grout and mirrors in restrooms
- ensuring supplies are provided in public restroom areas
- cleaning and emptying trash containers and recycle containers
- cleaning exterior walls and doors
- cleaning doors, windows, light fixtures, blinds, partitions, furniture, water fountains, vents, blinds and baseboards in hallways and kitchens
- removing spider webs, maintaining landings and breezeways, blowing leaves, snow removal or other outside duties as required in assigned area to include use of pressure washer
- maintaining cleanliness of designated office areas, meeting spaces, kitchens or other public areas and assist in setting up for special events
- cleaning vacant apartments and/or residence hall rooms as directed
- cleaning laundry rooms and keeping laundry areas free of lint where applicable
- collecting items for recycling if applicable
- policing the grounds daily to remove paper, cans, litter, pet waste and garbage
- removing snow and ice from sidewalks and parking lots as directed
- water the lawn, shrubs, and trees; provide other services as required in some areas of campus housing (planning shrubs and flowers, trimming, edging, weed control, etc)
- maintain pool and/or grill areas if applicable
- and any other duties to maintain and/or improve the surroundings for the occupant
Provides timely service by completing custodial and/or minor maintenance requests from residents or supervisors, which may include, but not limited to:
- stopped up sinks, commodes and tubs
- damaged flush kits, sink drains, showerheads, toilet seats
- replacing burned out light bulbs and/or broken light covers
- changes filters upon individual request from residents
- assists mechanical department in repair of A/C units whenever possible to speed repair process (placing frozen units in thaw cycle, etc.)
- repair and/or replace window blinds
- repair and/or replace window screens
- minor sheetrock repair of ceilings and walls when possible
- touch up painting when required
- repair and/or replace closet shelves, towel rods, toilet paper holders, etc
- repair and/or replace door fittings and/or locks if repairs are minor
- checks appliances for working condition and complete repairs if minor (broken crisper covers, door brackets, oven doors, etc.)
- maintain pool log as required by law (if applicable)
- removal of broken glass or other debris creating a safety hazard
- complete other minor repairs when possible
Refers work order to immediate supervisor and/or Facilities Services when repairs cannot be completed in-house.
Inspects and maintains equipment used to perform maintenance/custodial duties.
Moves furniture or linens as requested.
Corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate Housing Custodial Supervisor.
Maintains appearance of custodial storage rooms.
Wears designated uniform unless approved by the appropriate Housing Custodial Supervisor.
Follows safety procedures and attends scheduled safety meetings.
Assists with summer programs as needed and as directed by the appropriate Housing Custodial Supervisor.
Transports supplies and/or linens from Facilities Services, Linen Cleaning Vendor, etc. as needed.
Completes performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers and supervisor.
Conducts scheduled maintenance inspections, complete repairs identified during the inspection whenever possible and report all others to the appropriate Housing Custodial Supervisor and/or Facilities Services.
Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and university.
Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate Housing Custodial Supervisor in support of the goals and objective of Student Life Division.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Custodian_R001018
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.