Director of Development & External Affairs
Director of Development & External
The mission of SoHarlem is to create equitable opportunities in Harlem through cultural industries workforce development.
SoHarlem is a not-for-profit place-based social enterprise that partners with artists, artisans, creative entrepreneurs, local residents, and public and private partners to connectunder/unemployed local residents with cultural industry opportunities that help them achieve economic self-sufficiency.
Economic development in West Harlem, intensified by gentrification and the expansion of Columbia University, has largely by-passed the community of color, particularly women. SoHarlem was founded in 2011 to ensure that local women and their families participate in economic development of the Factory District and that Harlem’s ethnic, cultural, and aesthetic traditions and practices are kept vital during a time of social change and neighborhood transition.
SoHarlem seeks to address pressing issues faced by historically disenfranchised communities, such as decades-long poverty and an unemployment rate nearly double the national average, through the development of a cultural industry workforce in Harlem that is employed by the creative entrepreneurs whose micro-enterprises are being incubated at SoHarlem.
Summary of Responsibilities and
SoHarlem, Inc. is recruiting for Director of Development & External Affairs to cultivate individual donors, develop a membership drive utilizing social media and other platforms, increase support from major funders and individuals; and to work with staff on identifying the types of collateral to be produced.
SoHarlem is governed by a small Board of Directors.
The Director of Development & External Affairs, who reports to the CEO and Board of Directors, is a creative, entrepreneurial thinker who works closely with the CEO, and has the following skills and expertise:
- Skilled in all areas of fundraising with particular focus on increasing individual contributions
- Has experience in cultivating elected officials within Harlem, New York, community building, expanding SoHarlem’s reach within the community, and developing and implementing partnerships/collaborations with organizations, that are outside of the arts sector
- Experience in developing relationships, working with funders, donors, constituents, and leveraging outcomes that are mutually beneficial
- Background in planning and managing special event/programming activities that further development goals
- Comfortable with fiscal planning, including building multi-year fiscal, development and business plans
- Adept in both oral and written communications (i.e., writing winning proposals, annual appeal letters, and other fundraising-related materials
- Experienced in marketing strategies and methods
- Has passion for the SoHarlem’s mission
Specifically, Director of Development & External Affairs is responsible for:
Institutional Grants and Individual Contributions
- In collaboration with the CEO, sets fiscal year operating income goals with identified sources and implements an annual Development Plan to meet those goals
- Provides direction to Communications Consultants, Social Media Specialists and Interns to produce marketing collateral for use in the solicitation of prospective individual donors and fundraising communications to be used for campaign
- Explore and solicit support from Fashion Industry, an avenue not fully developed which aligns with SoHarlem's emphasis on the Designers' Studio and incubating creative entrepreneurs
- Develop and implement innovative fundraising solicitation programs and events with the Board Development Committee to identify and solicit major individual donors
- Update research on foundation, corporate and government grant prospects, write proposals, report to grantors and acknowledge all grants and contributions
- Manage the annual appeal solicitation letter and the timetable for distribution
- Manage the tracking process and ensure the mailing of all acknowledgement letters
- Manage grant compliance and reporting requirements
- Create and manage the annual grants schedule
- Supervise the database for individual donors and institutional funders
Special Events Fundraising
- Plan, manage special fundraising events annually and implement all logistical components pertaining to special event fundraisers
- Work with and supervise, as needed, events chairpersons on the Development Committee to build-out and responsibilities
- Develop and manage all events budgets
- Develop all printed materials for fundraising events
- Develop and manage all Development-related budgets which includes cross-checking monthly financial reports as they pertain to contributed income
- Prepare Development-related fiscal reports for all activities
- Manage all Development expenses within the budget
- Participate in annual fiscal planning
- Develop and implement an annual schedule of meetings with the Board Development Committee; attend all Board Development Committee meetings
- Meet with and regularly discuss and strategize all Development-related initiatives, programs and events with the Board and Staff
- Organize volunteers when necessary
- Adhere to work schedule determined by the CEO
- Oversee the planning and implementation of the organization’s Communications and Marketing Strategy
- Represent SoHarlem to the highest professional standards with its various public groups (volunteers, artists, students, business and government agencies and art organizations) when necessary
- Maintain a statewide presence for SoHarlem by participating with other arts affiliated organizations when possible
Salary: Starting Salary approximately $50,000 (Three-Four Days A Week)
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Potential applicants will be contacted and invited to interview. No phone calls or visits, please.
Apply for Director of Development & External Affairs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Part Time jobs in New York City
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Part Time jobs in New York City
- Development & Advancement Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Part Time jobs in New York City
- Grants & Contracts Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Part Time jobs in New York City