Research Associate position to study molecular and biophysical mechanisms of ion channel function and pharmacology, with particular emphasis on BK potassium channels and Cav1.1 calcium channels. Ph.D with at least 5 years postdoctoral experience and training in Patch Clamp Electrophysiology and Molecular Biology required. Experience with ion channel drug screening, or recording from skeletal muscle, BK channels or Calcium channels a plus.
- Plans, directs and conducts research experiments involving (a) site-directed mutagenesis and electrophysiological analysis of BK potassium channels and (b) electrophysiological analysis of changes Cav1.1 channel function in skeletal muscle associated with disease-causing mutations in Cav1.1 and post-translational modification of associated proteins such as Ryr1. ·
- Evaluates and analyzes single channel and macroscopic electrophysiological data for the above projects.
- Conducts literature searches and summarize information in an appropriate format for the above studies.
- Documents results of the above experiments and reports to principal investigator.
- Assists PI in writing research articles and grants on the above topics .
- Supervise and train less experienced research staff and students who may join or rotate in the lab in the future.
- Assist with maintaining lab stocks, reagents, equipment, and common spaces.
- Master's degree in Basic Science or a related field. Experience in lieu of degree will not be accepted.
- Three years of relevant experience typically as a Research Assistant, Research Technician or Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate.
- Ph.D degree in biophysics, biomedical engineering or a related field.
- Five years of relevant experience as a Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
CA; CH; PD
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston