Assistant/Associate Professors (Africana Studies)
Title: Assistant/Associate Professors (Africana Studies)
Job Category: Faculty
Department: College of Liberal Arts-SIUC
College: College of Liberal Arts-SIUC
The Department of Africana Studies is accepting applications for two positions at the rank of Assistant Professor and one position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. These positions are 9-month, continuing, tenure track appointments.
Tenure will be housed in the Department of Africana Studies with a joint appointment (49%) in either Anthropology, Art and Design, Communication Studies, English, History, Languages, Cultures & International Trade, Linguistics, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology, or Theater.
The Department of Africana Studies is interested in building its strengths in the Africana intellectual and cultural philosophy and/or history and intersectional theory focusing on race, sexuality, and nation. The College of Liberal Arts' broad goal in this search is to impact multiple scholarly domains as outlined here.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Teach undergraduate and graduate courses; mentor undergraduate and graduate students; maintain an active program of peer-reviewed research/scholarship; contribute to curriculum development and other forms of service in the Department of Africana Studies and in the affiliated academic department.
The selected individuals will contribute to the curriculum in Africana Studies as well as that of the affiliated department(s), recruit and mentor students interested in Africana Studies, and develop a strong program of individual scholarship.
Doctoral degree in Africana Studies or a related discipline is required. Specialization will be broadly considered and includes but is not limited to: African and/or African American history, culture, politics and society, linguistics and languages; black feminism/womanist theory/philosophy; black aesthetics; digital humanities; multicultural competency; the African diaspora, and other areas.
ABD applicants may be considered if all doctoral degree requirements will be completed by August 15, 2021. If not completed by that date, a non-tenure track appointment may be offered (https://policies.siu.edu/personnelpolicies/chapter2/ch2-faps/conting.php).
In addition to the PhD, applicants must demonstrate the following:
- A potential to develop a strong program of individual scholarship
- Evidence of an active research agenda
- Teaching experience in Africana Studies or a related discipline
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds such as racial and ethnic minorities, women, individuals who identify as LGBTQ+, individuals with disabilities, individuals from lower income backgrounds, and/or first generation or otherwise underserved college students.
For consideration at the rank of Associate Professor, applicants must meet the minimal qualifications as listed and provide evidence of excellence in teaching, peer-reviewed scholarly productivity, and professional service.
Preferred qualifications for all positions include a proficiency in an African language, a heritage language of the African diaspora, French, or Portuguese; evidence of securing external research/grant funding. For the Assistant/Associate Professor position, a scholarly alignment with History and/or Philosophy is preferred.
Deadline to Apply: 11/20/20
General Information: Please use the following link to apply https://jobs.siu.edu/job-details?jobid=11212
Contact: Michael Molino, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts email@example.com
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential toserve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carbondale
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carbondale
- Performing Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carbondale
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carbondale
- American Studies Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carbondale